Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Bluetooth Upgrade

Old May 1st, 2015, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution

Hey all,

I should have closed the loop on this a while ago. I ended up buying a Bluestar box from Costar Tech. costartech.com - BlueSTAR

This undoes your factory Onstar(which I never intended to use) and gives a great true factory experience for bluetooth. The steering wheel controls work perfectly and it certainly works while you're rolling down the road. Honestly took 10 minutes to install. I've had it for a few years now and it has been flawless.
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
santa6,

Have you paired your phone to the vehicle? Bluetooth can be used without using OnStar, as long as you have a compatible phone.

The vehicle must be parked when pairing. The pairing process is disabled when the vehicle is moving.

1. Press and hold "phone/speak" button for two seconds. The system responds with “Ready” followed by a tone.

2. Say “Bluetooth”. The system responds with “Bluetooth ready” followed by a tone.

3. Say “Pair”. The system responds with instructions and a four digit PIN number. The PIN number will be used in Step 4.

4. Start the Pairing process on the cell phone that will be paired to the vehicle. Reference the cell phone manufacturer's user guide for information on this process.

Locate the device named “General Motors” in the list on the cellular phone and follow the instructions on the cell phone to enter the four digit PIN number that was provided in Step 3.

5. The system prompts for a name for the phone. Use a name that best describes the phone. This name will be used to indicate which phone is connected. The system then confirms the name provided.

6. The system responds with “
has been successfully paired” after the pairing process is complete.

7. Repeat Steps 1 through 7 for additional phones to be paired.

This information is also available in the owner's manual, pages 3-75 through 3-85 (3-78 through 3-88 in the digital manual). For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...let-Malibu.pdf

To check to see if your phone is compatible with your vehicle, visit: General Motors | Official Global Site | GM.com

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Louis, I just purchased an '09 Malibu and it doesn't have the owners manual so I have no idea what the pin is! Is there a way to reset it so that I can pair my phone to it?
Old October 10th, 2019, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

I would like to add Bluetooth for my phone, no On Star is in the vehicle.
Old October 10th, 2019, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by santa6
Just bought a 2009 Malibu LT. The salesman told me it had bluetooth and when I looked on the steering wheel it does have the two buttons with the phone symbols - one for mute radio/speak and the other an icon of a phone with a slash through it. So I assumed it had bluetooth as well, since my other GM cars have similar controls. This car has the XM satellite radio as well.

Turns out these buttons only control the mirror mounted On Star system.

Given that I have a microphone overhead for On Star, the buttons in the wheel and the upgraded radio - is there a kit or module or plug-in or something that I can buy to give this integrated bluetooth controlled through the steering wheel?

Thanks for any help.
Add Bluetooth for phone, no OnStar