Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

A/C Condensate Leak? 2013 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2015, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Condensate Leak? 2013 Malibu

2013 Malibu LTZ with 2.5L and about 50k miles. Getting apparent clear liquid mostly on driver side carpet. I park on a slight incline and a couple weeks ago had about a 1" puddle of water in the back floorboard. No smell and pretty sure it's the evaporator leaking into the cabin. Sucked it up with a wet vac and since then no puddle, but carpet is damp after driving with A/C on. When I vacuumed it was definitely plain water with no antifreeze. Probably going on for a while, hence the puddle. I haven't seen any drips from under dash. Also, I don't recall the usual condensate dripping from car after shutdown.

Periodically, when running the A/C, "fog" blows out of the middle dash vent; a little on drivers side dash vent. I think it’s from just too much dampness inside the car from the carpets. Also, sometimes it’s difficult to defog the windshield while driving in the rain; mostly only during very heavy rain. A/C blows cold and cools the car even on very hot days.

I put the car up on ramps and spent about 30 mins trying to find the evap drain tube to no avail. Also couldn't find anything under the hood. I've searched online and here and can't find anything on locating the condensate drain tube (on a 2013); if there is one.

My Chevy dealer wants $100 to troubleshoot. I declined; thinking they'll charge me and not find a problem. I'll get into that episode if asked; but right now trying to DIY.

Location of the drain tube and any ideas greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jborodawg; June 18th, 2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: clarify
Old June 18th, 2015, 9:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a sunroof? Are you sure those drains aren't plugged up also?

Not sure how different the malibu's are, but there were some pictures and stuff online for different years.
Old June 19th, 2015, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

No sunroof. Hasn't rained here in over a week. I vacuum and even leave windows cracked in the hot sun to make sure it dries out. Then, dampness returns after driving with a/c on.

I searched the web and youtube but only found stuff for '09 and '10 Malibus.
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Found the problem. Thanks for all the replies...lol
Old June 18th, 2017, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jborodawg
Found the problem. Thanks for all the replies...lol
We have this exact same issue with our 2013 Malibu and can't find any answers. Can you share what you did to fix it?