Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Can My Malibu Tow A Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2011, 2:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can My Malibu Tow A Trailer?

First let me say I know absolutely nothing about cars. I know a lot about car stereos and interior, but nothing about the actual mechanics. That's why I'm asking this, so pardon me if this is a stupid question. I've seen cars towing trailers before and I need to know if my Malibu LT can tow a small 4x6 trailer. My engine is just a 4-Cylinder. All I need to tow is a guitar amp that is 110 lbs. that will be enclosed in a road case to add probably at the very most 30 to 40 lbs, plus a guitar in a road case to add another at the most 45 to 50 lbs. There will also be two small road cases in there to add at the most 10 lbs. So total the weight will be well under 500 lbs. not counting the trailer. Will I ruin my Malibu if I attempt to tow all that? Thanks for the input.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a 2011? I wouldn't. That's what a beater van or pickup truck is for. However, you are free to do as you wish with your car, provided you get a custom trailer hitch (not any of those universal junk) installed correctly. The owner's manual has some information on towing a trailer, including load limits and such. Basically you can tow the weight that would otherwise be loaded inside the vehicle.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 1:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by veazeykyle
First let me say I know absolutely nothing about cars. I know a lot about car stereos and interior, but nothing about the actual mechanics. That's why I'm asking this, so pardon me if this is a stupid question. I've seen cars towing trailers before and I need to know if my Malibu LT can tow a small 4x6 trailer. My engine is just a 4-Cylinder. All I need to tow is a guitar amp that is 110 lbs. that will be enclosed in a road case to add probably at the very most 30 to 40 lbs, plus a guitar in a road case to add another at the most 45 to 50 lbs. There will also be two small road cases in there to add at the most 10 lbs. So total the weight will be well under 500 lbs. not counting the trailer. Will I ruin my Malibu if I attempt to tow all that? Thanks for the input.

Thats really funny, you are going to ruin your Transmission
and possibly your Engine. By all means if you want to use a Trailer
on your Malibu go ahead.
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Bad Idea

I would say hell no... Those cars are meant for passengers towing any kind of weight behind them would throw off your bearings and put unnecissary wear and tear on that little car. I would invest in a cheap van or pick up its not worth the aggrevation!
Old April 19th, 2011, 4:55 PM
CF Junior Member

I have to laugh at some of the ridiculous responses on this thread. If you have a quality hitch installed and your trailers gross weight is only around 500-600 lbs then you should be fine. Now the exception to this would be if you were going to carry three full grown men as well as this trailer loaded then you may find that this "could" cause you trouble in the future. These cars will have a gross vehicle weight sticker located on the drivers door. This sticker will tell you how much weight your car was "DESIGNED" to carry and as long as you stay within this rage (give a hundred lbs or so) you will have no major problems.

As a side note: I am not saying that pulling a trailer with a car is the best avenue in an ideal situation. I also agree that extended use of this trailer will probably shorten the overall life span of this car. I would recommend that if you are planning this as a long term situation then you will want to consider trading this car for a truck/van or buying a "gig" vehicle. But, if you are only using the car like this every so often and drive this car like a gram-pa (don't dog the hell out of it while pulling this trailer) and are responsible it should be fine.

GM did design these cars to carry a specific amount of weight then they subtract a certain amount to allow for "the exception" and put this figure on the above mentioned sticker.