Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Can't start. Malibu

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2014, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can't start. Malibu

Hello everyone,

I'll jump right into the issue and see if anyone can help. When I turn the key in the ignition to accessory everything looks fine. When I turn it to the on position the factory alarm starts going off making it sound like I'm breaking into it. Any further past that doesn't help the alarm just keeps going off. I've put the battery on a trickle charger last night and it seemed to have taken a charge(even though it had 12 volts going onto the charger) and it didn't help any. I tried to jump start the car and that didn't help either. Any advice would be helpful as my car is one heap of metal to me at the moment.
Old June 30th, 2014, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Not the battery.

I had auto zone check the battery and it's cells, under a load, and can confidently say the battery is not the issue. I think it's the ignition passlock that needs to be replaced but after reading about other people's issues, none of them have the same symptoms. Each time their anti theft light is lit up and mine isn't. Anybody with knowledge on this? I'm all ears.

If it makes any difference at all for some reason I can pull my key out of the ignition in accessory position.
Old July 1st, 2014, 9:09 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi mware88,

Sorry to hear this! Although we are unable to provide technical advice, please let us know if you would like assistance in getting in contact with your local dealership.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by mware88
I had auto zone check the battery and it's cells, under a load, and can confidently say the battery is not the issue. I think it's the ignition passlock that needs to be replaced but after reading about other people's issues, none of them have the same symptoms. Each time their anti theft light is lit up and mine isn't. Anybody with knowledge on this? I'm all ears.

If it makes any difference at all for some reason I can pull my key out of the ignition in accessory position.
Old July 1st, 2014, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks but no thanks

As much as they'd love to start a charge account for a diagnostic, I'd rather burn what few dollars I have.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 7:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

first step would be to check for body codes. you will need a full function scan tool.
does the security light do a bulb check at key on?