Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Car not responding to Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2014, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not responding to Key Fobs

Hello to all!

I have a 2009 Malibu LT with keyless entry. My problem is that the key fobs are not working correctly - I have changed the batteries several times trying to eliminate that problem. I have 2 key fobs, one is factory and the other is a aftermarket replacement that looks like the original. The key fobs were programed in over a year ago and seemed to work fine for several months. Now the car does not respond to the key fobs as it should. Both are having the problem leading me to believe there is something wrong with the car. Here are the descriptions of what is happening: 1. you have to be standing beside the car and press and hold the unlock button for it to unlock the driver's door (sometimes it requires you to do this several times), my wife has resorted to unlocking it with her key and then starting the car to stop the horn. 2. you have to do the same thing again to get it to unlock all of the doors (usually we just get in and hit the unlock button on the driver's door). 3. the lock button works but you have to be standing within a few yards of the car, the same for the auto-start feature. 4. The trunk release seams to work fine, however, I am usually within a few steps of the car before hitting that button.
Old July 18th, 2014, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MattHamby
Hello to all!

I have a 2009 Malibu LT with keyless entry. My problem is that the key fobs are not working correctly - I have changed the batteries several times trying to eliminate that problem. I have 2 key fobs, one is factory and the other is a aftermarket replacement that looks like the original. The key fobs were programed in over a year ago and seemed to work fine for several months. Now the car does not respond to the key fobs as it should. Both are having the problem leading me to believe there is something wrong with the car. Here are the descriptions of what is happening: 1. you have to be standing beside the car and press and hold the unlock button for it to unlock the driver's door (sometimes it requires you to do this several times), my wife has resorted to unlocking it with her key and then starting the car to stop the horn. 2. you have to do the same thing again to get it to unlock all of the doors (usually we just get in and hit the unlock button on the driver's door). 3. the lock button works but you have to be standing within a few yards of the car, the same for the auto-start feature. 4. The trunk release seams to work fine, however, I am usually within a few steps of the car before hitting that button.

This may or may not help. Both of mine on my 2006 stopped working and I checked about reprogramming(Can only be done by a dealer on the 2006). It was very expensive.
My wife investigated the problem and found that the silicone push buttons on the FOB have a conductive material on the back and this can go bad. She ordered 1 replacement silicone overlay( less than $50 and I took apart the FOB and replaced with new. It cured the problem. got a second overlay and repaired the other FOB. Maybe this will help.
Old October 5th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default EZ fix for remotes not working

I also have a 2009 Malibu LT and had the very same problem. My batteries were OK also. The rubber push button pad in the remote had worn out [there must be something that wears out on the backside]. I replaced them online for less than $10 each and they work like new again. I bought them online---- just Google car and truck remotes. 4 Button Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Pontiac, Saturn Remote Replacement Rubber Pad