Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Metal shavings

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2019, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal shavings

Up until last week my 2012 Malibu ran perfect. Last week when my wife was driving it stopped, the electronics still worked. It would turn over but immediately shut off. My machanic looked at it and there were multiple error codes, he was most concerned with theft deterrent code. When he cleared the codes it ran perfect. After a few minutes the errors codes came up again and the engine shut off again. After the codes were cleared again it ran perfect again. Since the error codes kept coming up he said the car needed a software update from a GM dealership.

I took it to a GM dealership and they said there was metal shavings in the oil and in the screen on the catalytic converter. (Or some other screen) I kinda blanked out on that when they now say the engine needs to be replaced either$7000 for brand new engine plus install or $4000 for used engine installed without warranty.

From rom what I read online I figured it would either be a software issue or replace ignition if that’s what was causing theft deterrent codes.

This his seems like way out of left field. So could metal shavings block the screens and then cause theft deterrent code. When engine runs great otherwise. I dove it from machanic to GM dealership and the engin didn’t seem out of order.
Old January 28th, 2019, 4:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Theft deterent to metal shavings? I can understand the theft deterent shutting the thing off, but metal shavings? How did the dealer come up with that? Post the fault codes.
Old January 28th, 2019, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Theft deterent to metal shavings? I can understand the theft deterent shutting the thing off, but metal shavings? How did the dealer come up with that? Post the fault codes.

sorry I don’t have the codes. The dealership didn’t have the codes either unless more came up.

My machanic cleared the codes to be able to get the car running again.
(He showed me the codes and pointed out the theft deterrent one specifically. )

He thought the the issue was the theft deterrent code. And that reprogramming the computer might fix the problem or possibly a new ignition since the computer may not be recognizing the key.

Why why would an engine that seems to be running fine have metal shavings so sever a new engine is needed. And why would that be causing problems with the control software.

Thats what I don’t understand
Old January 28th, 2019, 7:27 PM
CF Monarch

I'd question the dealer.
Old January 29th, 2019, 7:40 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Take it to a different dealership for a second opinion.
Old January 29th, 2019, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

I'd question the dealer.

I attended the dealership the car had a code for the solinoid they showed me the solinoid, it was completely clogged with large metal shavings so they pulled the oil filter which was also heavily filled with metal shards. The paper filter was also collapsed so they said that was caused from lack of oil running through the system.

I’ve done regular oil changes on my car with high quality oil. So look like catastrophic issue with my car. It isn’t worth spending several thousand to replace engine.

I live live in northern Ontario and we have had multiple days of -35 it’s possible this issue is because how cold it was and I don’t have an engine block heater.
Old January 29th, 2019, 4:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

It might be worth rebuilding your engine when you compare it to the cost of a new car. If the body and interior are in good shape and you are happy with it, then it is worth repairing.
Old January 29th, 2019, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
It might be worth rebuilding your engine when you compare it to the cost of a new car. If the body and interior are in good shape and you are happy with it, then it is worth repairing.

is it worth spending over $4 thousand to fix it when the car is wort about $5-$6 thousand

i looked at 2018 Malibu and they had over. $8000 in rebates plus they were going to throw in snow tires and $1000 gas card.

Either way I’ll have a loan but replacing the engine I’ll be financing a loan for more then my car is worth.
Old January 29th, 2019, 5:43 PM
CF Monarch

I attended the dealership the car had a code for the solinoid they showed me the solinoid, it was completely clogged with large metal shavings so they pulled the oil filter which was also heavily filled with metal shards. The paper filter was also collapsed so they said that was caused from lack of oil running through the system.

I’ve done regular oil changes on my car with high quality oil. So look like catastrophic issue with my car. It isn’t worth spending several thousand to replace engine.

I live live in northern Ontario and we have had multiple days of -35 it’s possible this issue is because how cold it was and I don’t have an engine block heater.
What oil filter did you use?
Old January 29th, 2019, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

What oil filter did you use?

pretty sure it was Fram oil filter