Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Electric assist power steering?

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2012, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric assist power steering?

Was wondering if someone could help with a problem. When I start up and get going after I turn, the DIC on the radio displays power steering and a chime goes off. The power steering is working(can turn it with the one finger still). Have been told 2 different things. The dealer said it was probably the column(has not been diagnosed yet). Another mechanic(ASE certified) says it is the motor and needs replaced. He also said the rack would need replaced because of the popping that you can hear when turning(just one or two pops and thats it). So can anyone help me out? What do you think? This is on a 2007 Malibu LT.
Old June 18th, 2012, 6:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

You need to post the code that's stored in the power steering control module. Then it can be properly diagnosed.
Old June 18th, 2012, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you. Taking it back to dealer tomorrow to find out. Hopefully it will not be to bad on the billfold!
Old June 19th, 2012, 3:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> bigukcatfan,

I'm sorry to hear of this problem with your Malibu vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Default the popping

I don't know about the power steering problem but the popping you are hearing may not be in the rack. My '07 was also popping when I turned it. Try going under the dash and find the end of the steering column shaft where it connects to the shaft coming through the firewall. There is a retainer bolt you can losen and slide the shafts apart. If I recall right they dont come all the way apart. But slide it as far as it will go and lube the hell out of it. Did mine 3 yrs ago and no popping since.
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Took it to a dealer and need to replace the steering column. $915.87 to fix it!! I have had the car for 2 weeks! Very PISSED right now!
Old June 20th, 2012, 1:16 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> bigukcatfan,

Did you buy it from the dealer? Certified used?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 20th, 2012, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

No!!!!!
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

I know this is a little too late, but I just found this forums...

Check this link for possible help...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=909548

I know yours is a '07 model year but it doesn't hurt to try! I had the same problem as you and was Completely fixed out of pocket by GM.

Read that other thread I posted on the link above and call or copy the "Subject: 07126 -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSIST" letter and show it to your dealer in person, not too many people knew about this when I did it.

Besides GM sent me a letter about 2 years ago to notify me that the warranty on the electric steering had been further extended, so your vehicle might be included on this warranty.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default the issue you are having

I'm sure that you have had this issue fixed by now but the issue you had was the steering column (the message) and your steering shaft (poping) with the column the ecu was registering a fault in the power steering assist and is designed to notify you of the issue but allow the owner to continue driving. The popping in the steering shaft has been an issue for gm for years some times they just grease it and then other times they replace it. I think they now have a perm fix for it with a redesigned steering shaft but I'm not 100% sure if it actually fixes the issue.

Quick Reply: Electric assist power steering?