Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Emission code of LE5 2.4L?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2016, 12:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emission code of LE5 2.4L?

I'm new here looked around on this but didn't find solution so this is why I am posting now - very sorry if this is a redundant question. Here's what I need to do/know. I have a 2009 Malibu LTZ 2.4L with 189,000 miles that needs a new motor. I have found a number of engines but they all ask if it is a NU1, NU6, or an NT7 - how can I tell the difference or know what I have? Is there a big difference? I have looked everywhere and the only emissions sticker I could find was under the hood which said EPA Class/stds: LDV/Tier2 and California Class/stds:PC/LEV2. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have swapped many motors - I just want to make sure I buy the right motor with the right stuff. Thanks in advance for your patience with this ford guy working on his wife's favorite car:) Would love to hear from you guys it's a really nice car. Thanks.
Old April 28th, 2016, 7:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the best way is to find the rpo sticker which lists the build options. it will list the engine build code. rpo are 3 character codes. the sticker may be in the glove box or the underside of the spare tire cover.

a second method is to use the 8th character of the vin...which is the engine option.
the emission label under the hood displays the emission standard/class for the vehicle, not the engine build.
you could also google the 3 rpo codes you have listed nu1, nu6, nt7

Last edited by tech2; April 28th, 2016 at 7:47 AM.
Old April 28th, 2016, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the 3 character codes in the glove box - NT7. Thanks - really appreciate it!