Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

engine disabled, service traction, engine power reduced Car will not start

Old April 26th, 2016, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine disabled, service traction, engine power reduced Car will not start

Hello,

Last night my car did something weird. It stopped with a 5 sec warning. I have not had any warnings before. No check engine light or anything like that. My display showed Engine Power Reducing. Then Engine disable. Then Service Traction. My TCS went off. My car will not start. I called my mechanic and of course he said he will have to see it. Has this happened to anyone else before and is it expensive. I owe $700 on my car and I am not trying to get a new one for a while.

I have a 2008 chevy Malibu
Old April 27th, 2016, 3:50 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Latoya Huntley
Hello,

Last night my car did something weird. It stopped with a 5 sec warning. I have not had any warnings before. No check engine light or anything like that. My display showed Engine Power Reducing. Then Engine disable. Then Service Traction. My TCS went off. My car will not start. I called my mechanic and of course he said he will have to see it. Has this happened to anyone else before and is it expensive. I owe $700 on my car and I am not trying to get a new one for a while.

I have a 2008 chevy Malibu
Hello Latoya,

We understand how concerning this must be and do genuinely apologize for the unexpected issue you encountered in your Malibu. Should you want to work with a certified Chevrolet dealership, we’d be happy to provide an extra layer of assistance. We can also check your VIN to see if there are any programs listed referencing this concern. If this interests you, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership.

Thanks!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 13th, 2016, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, this has been happening to me. Had it towed to the dealership in May, they said the ECM and BCM terminals were fretted. (??) Not sure what that means but they replaced the ECM under warranty. Then it died again last week. I was told the timing chain tensioner fell off! $1500 !! The car only has 48,000 miles. The dealership and chevy got the price down to $900. Still a ridiculous amount. Fortunately, the timing chain didn't fall off, it would have wrecked the entire engine. I'm trading the car asap. I can't own a car this unreliable.
Old May 9th, 2017, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

I to just bought a Chevy Malibu at the end of April. I am experiencing the same thing. The miles also have changed from 19,000 to 22,000 within a day? This is very frustrating to say the least. I am wondering if I can bring the car back since it has not been 30 days? I did not anticipate early mechanical problems this soon. I am unhappy with this Chevy.

Search this Thread