Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

fan rad delayes to work.

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan rad delayes to work.

I have a Malibu LS 2004 3.5L. I have to always work the AC in order to maintain an appropiate enginne temperature driving in city. . With the car parked and the enginne working at idle the fan rad works fine but sometimes itīs having a delay to work. Driving in highway there is no any problem.
May somebody help me?
Best regards.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 5:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PCM runs the cooling fans based on what the ECT sensor says the engine coolant temperature is. Both cooling fans work in tandem, albeit at two different configurations, in series (low speed operation) and in parallel (high speed). At 106°C (223°F) the fans should engage in the low speed operation. Then, at 110°C (230°F) the high speed operation should kick in. With A/C compressor on, the PCM will command the fans on based also on the refrigerant pressure. There's a bunch of steps to diagnose the problem like yours but it's not easy if you don't have a proper scan tool.
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks very much.
Now I have a better idea of the issue.
some time ago, I had some problems with the battery charge and the electric mechanic told me that there was a problem with the modulus because of humidity entrance. he eliminates the security system from the modulus (anti-theft system (my english is not good enough)) and the charging problem was solved.
I think there is a relationship betwen the PCM you told me and the modulus the mechanic told me (Probably is the same, isnīt it).

Do you think I can diagnose the problem with the OBDLink interface of Palmer Performance? I have this one but I have not used yet because I need some instruction about it. Iīll have to learn.

Best regards.
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're quite welcome. Any software or hardware scan tool will probably do. Start with sanity-checking the coolant temperature to make sure it isn't registering too low.