Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Mulitple brake problems with my 03 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2007, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mulitple brake problems with my 03 Malibu

At first it started with a huge vibration when breaking. Didn't take long to realize my rotars were probably warped. Before I had a chance to change them on a rainy day I had to make a sudden stop and the ABS engaged. After that the ABS light stayed on. I noticed a "roaring" sound when I was moving after that. I went ahead and changed the rotars and pads. Obviously that stopped the shaking of the stearing wheel when I brake. The ABS light is still on. When I brake it seems like I don't have a whole lot of pressure. I can pretty much push the pedal to the floor. When I do that I start getting a "creaking" noise coming from the front wheels. The car stops fine but it scares me because I have to push the pedal almost to the floor to get it to stop when I have to brake fast...and then the creaking when I press down all the way. Has anyone experienced this before?
Old May 26th, 2007, 11:11 PM
dbm
CF Beginner

Default RE: Mulitple brake problems with my 03 Malibu

I just started looking at this forum, you may have the problem fixed already. When you did the brakes did you check the rears? If so and they are rear drums, are you sure you got them adjusted tight enough. If the rear brakes are too loose it increases the amount of fluid to activate thus a longer brake stroke.
Old June 5th, 2007, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Mulitple brake problems with my 03 Malibu

I saw a similar problem on a 97 Malibu. It was making a loud humming noise and the ABS light was staying on. Turns out the front wheel bearings were real bad and both front sensors were bad. That also made it have spongy brakes because the bad bearings were causing the rotors to move side to side slightly while driving. That in turn eas spreading the brake pads apart.
This was repaired by replacing the front wheel bearings and both front hubs. ( I think the ABS sensors are built into the hub so you can't replace just the sensor, the whole hub has to be replaced.)

Try having the bearings and ABS sensors checked. In the meantime try pressing on the brake pedal a couple of times when stopping. That helped on this Malibu. After the second or third application, the brakes got firmer because it was tightening up the front brakes. However that will only last until you start going again.
[align=left] [/align]