Help! Tail lights and dashlights out!!!! - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Help! Tail lights and dashlights out!!!!

Old  June 21st, 2009, 8:06 PM
  • CF Beginner
Help! Tail lights and dashlights out!!!!

I have a 2000 malibu. I had it aligned, new tires, new brake pads and the rear tail light fixed. I was told they could not fix the tail light, that something was out. It was only the driver's side that was out. When i got in the car to leave, the "service vehicle soon" light was on. They said it was nothing they did! At night, I noticed my automatic dashboard lights did not come on - completely black! Then I took it back to them, and they said all my tail lights are out! This is very dangerous and I need to know what to do. They are refusing to help me.
I looked at the fuse for the automatic light system but it's this huge grey fuse that will not come off.
I cannot find the fuse for the tail lights.
Any help would be appreciated.

BTW - I am hooking a uhaul up to the car this week and driving across the country! The uhaul will need to be wired to my cars system!
HELP PLEASE

Old  June 21st, 2009, 8:22 PM
  • Impala Super Moderator
    Shelbyville, KY
You have a fuse out. Try back up relay fuse

Old  June 21st, 2009, 8:39 PM
  • CF Beginner
Thanks, do you know where that fuse is located? Are the tail lights the park lights?

Old  June 22nd, 2009, 5:31 AM
  • Impala Super Moderator
    Shelbyville, KY
SHould be in your manual

Old  June 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
  • CF Active Member
A mechanic that refuses to help you out?????? I hope you'll be looking for another mechanic ...

All fuses come out. Even the big grey one. If needed use powertools. (start with a plier and gripper, if that doesnt work, use a chainsaw or hydraulic powerdrill. If brute force doesnt ge t the job done, it means you're just not using enough of it !!! )

You do know that you have 2 fuse boxes, dont you? One under the hood (big black box) and one on the driver side of your car under the dashboard.
In the 2001 series, theres a fuse diagram on the lid of the fuse box under the hood. This one should point you into the right direction.

Old  June 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
  • CF Beginner
Thanks, I guess I do need some more strength. I am hoping an employee at the auto store will help me out with the fuses. My car, the 2000, has 3 fuse boxes. But I think they call the tail lights the park lights? It's so confusing.
I am also taking it to another mechanic tonight who is going to check all the electrical for me!!!!
I hate Strauss Auto - they also jacked up my alignment, I have to take it back tonight!

UH!

Old  June 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
  • CF Beginner
So, i did some investigating and the tail light fuse is marked parking lights. it was the fuse! i got a new one and now all the lights are back to normal!!!

Old  March 19th, 2012, 9:58 PM
2004 Malibu Classic Had the Same Issue

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic and had the same issue. It was the micro fuse/relay (bigger grey one) in the engine compartment fuse box. I changed out the fuel tank fuel pump and reinstalled it after a bit of undercoating to deaden some road sounds. I hooked back up the battery and drove it the next day. The "service engine soon" came on and later that night I noticed no dash lights or tail lights. I went through every tiny fuse, but have never had to replace a micro fuse/relay. I found the micro fuse was hot and located next to the 15 amp blue fuse. I replaced it with my horn relay and let the hot one cool. It worked in the place of the horn, but I will replace it with one from the salvage yard later so I don't have to worry about it lcoking up again. This post helped me locate it.

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors