Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission
Print Wikipost

How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?

Hi,
I can not find the dipstick in my 2006 Malibu LT.
So, How can we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT? Just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter? If so, How much fluid should we refill?
Thanks. [/align]
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?

you dont there is not one, you have to pull the pan off, It dont need servicing unless something is wrong....if you have issues go to dealer, again you cant check it. its 'maintence free' dont do anything unless someting is wrong....

do your guys salespeople not explain anything to you...??
Old May 18th, 2007, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your reply.
You mean there is no way to check the transmission fluid on my 2006 Malibu LT?

I plan to pull off the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter every 30k mlies myselft. But the problem is I do not know how much fluid should I refill after pulling the pan.
Old May 18th, 2007, 3:31 PM
CF Pro Member

correct.....they are 'no maintence' trannies, you dont touch them unless something breaks, If you feel you must, there is a procedure, and I do mean procedure.....

you need a level hoist or some way to get under the car while it is running and level, get teh car to operating temp.....raise it, go under on the right hand side of the transaxle there is a drain plug, with the car RUNNING, remove this plug fluid should just trickle out of it....if the car is cold it will pour out of it.....bear in mind if you change your own fluid and not take it in to have it flushed it will NOT drain the torque converter, thus all that fluid is recycled with the 4.7 litres you put in.......oh ya it takes about 4.7 litres for just the tranny, most likely be easier for you to pay the hour shop rate and have them do it....then you get all 11 litres changed make sure you tell them to flush it.
Old May 18th, 2007, 5:07 PM
CF Pro Member

It's the same deal on my 99 Malibu , no dip stick and supposed fluid life of 120000km ( 72000 miles ) with no maintenance.

The dealership told my better half you don't need to touch the fluid until the mileage posted ... the tranny slips at around that mileage ... so what they mean to say is the fluid will be changed when the tranny is replaced.
Old May 18th, 2007, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Is not it too late to maintain the tranny untill something breaks?
What does the 4.7 litres mean? You mean that I should put 4.7 litres in after I drop the pan and replace the filter? I do not think there is any drain plug, It might be the check hole which I did not even find it. I just find the refill hole. I know it will not drain the fluid in the torque converter, But if I drain the fluid every 30k miles, It will be enough. The manual ask to change the fluid every 50k miles under heavy driving condiction, like city driving. But flush is bad for a 75k miles or higher vehicle. My Malibu is only 32k miles now, but what should we do later? So I think drop the pan is better. My problem is I do not know how much fluid should I add after I drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter. My manual says:
Automatic Transaxle Complete Overhaul
Automatic Transaxle 4T45-E 6.9 qt 6.5L
Automatic Transaxle 4T65-E 7.4 qt 7.0L
What does this mean?
Thanks again

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS

correct.....they are 'no maintence' trannies, you dont touch them unless something breaks, If you feel you must, there is a procedure, and I do mean procedure.....

you need a level hoist or some way to get under the car while it is running and level, get teh car to operating temp.....raise it, go under on the right hand side of the transaxle there is a drain plug, with the car RUNNING, remove this plug fluid should just trickle out of it....if the car is cold it will pour out of it.....bear in mind if you change your own fluid and not take it in to have it flushed it will NOT drain the torque converter, thus all that fluid is recycled with the 4.7 litres you put in.......oh ya it takes about 4.7 litres for just the tranny, most likely be easier for you to pay the hour shop rate and have them do it....then you get all 11 litres changed make sure you tell them to flush it.
Old May 19th, 2007, 7:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Just drop the pan to drain the fluid and measure what was drained and put that amount back in.

So for example if you drained 4 qts put in 4 qts.
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM
CF Pro Member

it should take around 4.7 litres...Im in Canada so I dont know your quarts, if the torque converter and everyting is drained it will take arounc 11 litres.

And yes it is a check hole, my bad in my saying drain plug, I get confused sometimes as well, Im kinda on your side I think it is not a very smart idea for GM to not put a dipstick and a easy way of changing your own fluid. but such is life....it is not a drain plug, it is a check hole.

the 4T45-E is the tranny in the Malibu LS, LT, and LTZ models

the 4T65-E is the SS models like mine is is heavier duty and only 4 speed but handles higher torque shifts
Old May 19th, 2007, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you so much.

You mean for 4T45-E should take around 4.7 litres?

Thank you golfer I also will measure the fluid when I drop the pan to drain the fluid.

ORIGINAL: MalibuMaxxSS

it should take around 4.7 litres...Im in Canada so I dont know your quarts, if the torque converter and everyting is drained it will take arounc 11 litres.

And yes it is a check hole, my bad in my saying drain plug, I get confused sometimes as well, Im kinda on your side I think it is not a very smart idea for GM to not put a dipstick and a easy way of changing your own fluid. but such is life....it is not a drain plug, it is a check hole.

the 4T45-E is the tranny in the Malibu LS, LT, and LTZ models

the 4T65-E is the SS models like mine is is heavier duty and only 4 speed but handles higher torque shifts
Old May 19th, 2007, 5:25 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: leshan

Thank you so much.

You mean for 4T45-E should take around 4.7 litres?

Thank you golfer I also will measure the fluid when I drop the pan to drain the fluid.
yes

Quick Reply: How do we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT?