Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

transmission fluid dipstick

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2008, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid dipstick

im lookin for the dipstick for the transmission on my 2007 malibu maxx dose anyone now where it is if so please help
Old December 21st, 2008, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: transmission fluid dipstick

You don't have one, just a check plug under the car.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

how do u check it
Old December 22nd, 2008, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Start the vehicle and let it run. Remove the check plug, trany fluid should trickle out. Fill trany until this occurs.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. Caution the engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
Remove the transmission plug.
Important
The transmission fluid may darken with normal use and does not always indicate contamination or oxidation.

Transmission fluid (At least 104°F) 5-10 minutes at idle will give correct temp.
Does the fluid have a burnt odor or a dark brown color?Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.Is the fluid level low?
Add DEXRON® VI automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5L until the fluid drains from the plug hole.
Install plug before stopping engine or fluid will spill out of plug hole.
Pan drop and filter change 7.5 qts

Check plug is just to the right of the passenger side axle housing , 11 mm plug, can't miss it, only one there.

Hoist is optional, just needs to be level and plug accessible.

Old December 27th, 2008, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

SLLS, you don't mean to tell me that they are still using that light duty tranny on 2007 Malibu's? I'm trying to figure out how to replace the one (we are talking about a 4T40E tranny) on my 2002 Malibu with a 4T65E or similar. When I found out you had to check the fluid level (like you said), I nearly had the big one. Musta been the bean counters that came up with the design for that particular transmission. Sad sad.
Old December 27th, 2008, 9:14 AM
CF Junior Member

It sounds like a big deal, for a DIY it is not. If I see no fluid leaks I see no reason to check the level. I have had 2 cars with this procedure, BTW all other manufacturer are going this route on new transmission designs.