Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

My 2004 Chevy Malibu shifts but wont go into gear it is stuck in L

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2004 Chevy Malibu shifts but wont go into gear it is stuck in L

I have a V6 2004 Chevy Malibu with about 105,000 miles on it I took it to the store today and when I tried to put it in park it would go into the park position but it was staying in reverse so I put it in neutral and turned it off. I started it and went home and the car would not go into neutral so i shifted it again and it went into L when I tried to move it from L it would move to the other areas but the car would not change gears. Its stuck in L right now with the keys in it and it wont turn on because it can't turn on in L. If anybody knows what it may be I would appreciate it a lot Thanx for your time!
Old July 14th, 2015, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

GMC has a recall on the shift cable
Old March 25th, 2018, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 silverado 1500 4x4 won't go into drive or reverse

Started having issues truck was jerking/bucking after a stop and small shimmer while accelerating. Took it in to 2 different shops was told by one possible transfer case the other rear end swapped both with used ones from a salvage yard still same issues. Then I noticed the truck started to not go into drive sometimes I would turn the truck off start it up and it would shift into drive now won't go into drive or reverse. No check engine light had it hooked to a comp showed a fuel issue code for mass air flow or fuel pump being the fix I changed the mass air flow sensor have yet to do fuel pump hooked fuel pressure gage to it read 50 on start and fluctuated fast 50 to 55 at one point settled to 45. I have not yet connected it back to a computer due to won't move any more. I guess my biggest questions are could the fuel issue cause this type of issue and should I look to replace the trans or possible both