Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 malibu ss upgrades

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2007, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 malibu ss upgrades

i just recently purchased an 06 malibu ss and cant find any performance upgrades of any kind. are there any out there or any in the works? i am mainly looking for exhuast intake and maybe a supercharger or turbo. please help!!
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2006 malibu ss upgrades

I have not foundany kits made for the 3.9L. The 3.9L V8 is new for one, butGM is not using it as much as the 3.6L. Your going to have to get anything custom made if you want it. If you find any kits please let me know.
Old February 19th, 2007, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

have u put in any reqests yet at like aem or kn or edlebrock or any companies. maybe there just waiting for a high demand.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
CF Junior Member

yes all of the above and more
Old February 20th, 2007, 3:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jrocha3

I have not foundany kits made for the 3.9L. The 3.9L V8 is new for one, butGM is not using it as much as the 3.6L. Your going to have to get anything custom made if you want it. If you find any kits please let me know.
last time i checked the 3.9 was a V6 not a V8....so far I had mine flashed, CAI, and some appearence stuff, the flash worked awsome, havent had time to fine tune it, but very aggressive shifting now, pulls muhc harder, basically we changed the shift points advanced the timing, improved the torque curve..couple other things...

before I was redlining at 165kph, lots to do with the 4 speed as well, anyhow, after the flash (it is winter nd roads are bad here, so have not had time to really try it)....can get to 80kph in 1st, tap shift to 2nd gets 125kph and 3rd only got to140kph.ran out of road .like i said roads are bad and i got my winter **** tires on, not my 18s and potenzas..... hoping for more after I can get it out and rip it with the laptop hooked up to it and start fine tuning....

AS for Turbo....get a remote mount goes anywhere you just have to have someone do all the piping so to speak....looking into it for mine...its not cheap....quick and easy power there is alway nitros...easy to do and quick...

But with the demise of the 3.9 you prolly wont see much in the way of aftermarket parts for it.....however with that being said the pontiac side has more stuff for the 3.9 in the G6...it is the same engine.....just have to adapt things so to speak....for example you wont find a Cold air intake for a Malibu SS but u do the the G6 with the 3.9...it works
Old March 2nd, 2007, 2:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Good news for the 3.9L, the 2009 Camaro is going to get it,with the camaro selling from about 21,000. They say the entry level Camaro can be this affordable because its using the cheap to build 3.9L. GM Powertrain has been working to improve the engine, and is going to give it the six-speed, in manual or automatic. LikeI said good news with the 3.9L family expanding, it is going to be easier to find performance parts.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Banned

Maybe. But there are often large difference between FWD and RWD versions of the same engine. The exhaust, intake, and accessory layouts are bound to be very different.

I don't feel too sorry for you guys. It's not like the stock 3.9 is slow. I'd love to have a Maxx SS myself if it was available with a good manual transmission. As it is, I just recommended one that other day--as a nearly new car its a great car for the money. Good performance, great utility, and cheap to both buy and insure.
Old March 5th, 2007, 3:44 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: jrocha3

Good news for the 3.9L, the 2009 Camaro is going to get it,with the camaro selling from about 21,000. They say the entry level Camaro can be this affordable because its using the cheap to build 3.9L. GM Powertrain has been working to improve the engine, and is going to give it the six-speed, in manual or automatic. LikeI said good news with the 3.9L family expanding, it is going to be easier to find performance parts.
This makes no sense, The 3.9 cost more to build then the new 3.6 andthe new3,6 has more power and torque then the 3.9, and last I heard GM was having a hard time keeping the $$ even close to 20..
Old March 5th, 2007, 3:54 PM
Banned

Why do you think the 3.9 costs more to build? I've always heard the opposite. Pushrods vs. DOHC and all.
Old March 5th, 2007, 3:59 PM
CF Pro Member

the 3.9 is said to be very expensive to build for GM as opposed to the 3.6, why dont really know, as well the new CTS is getting a 300hp version of the 3.6 which would make sense to put in the camaro over the 3.9...

It just dont make sense as much as I love my car I will have to find other ways to increase HP, I dont see many after market parts for this engine, The imports are making close to 300 now with a 3.5, and with the CTS getting the new 3.6, I dont see much of a future for this engine, unless the up the HP LOTS and make the fuel milage WAAAAAY better.

Like they did in the 3.6, so think we have to say by to the 3.9

Quick Reply: 2006 malibu ss upgrades