Rear end noise from back end. maybe suspension? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevrolet Car Models > Malibu

Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
CF Beginner
Exclamation Rear end noise from back end. maybe suspension?

(2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx) Driving down the road the car is quiet as always, the second i hit a bump it makes a rattling sound somewhere in the back end. I narrowed it down to the left side and put it in the air. I thought it might be the exhaust rubbing or hitting but it seems to be coming from the suspension somewhere. Can someone help me figure out whats wrong!!!

Last edited by TASpinney9110; 03-15-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

It could be anything in that mess of links and bushings. Does yours have springs/shocks or struts? If shocks, check the upper shock mounting (should be torqued to 66 lb ft if single bolt, 18 lb ft if two nuts). If struts, it gets easier, see if you can push/pull the top of the tire in/out with the vehicle on the ground. If you can, the upper strut mount is most likely loose. It's something that's not really apparent with the shock/strut at full extension under spring tension.