Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Reduced Engine Power (only when cool or cold) - 2006 Malibu

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2014, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reduced Engine Power (only when cool or cold) - 2006 Malibu

Hello,

I'm posting in need of desperate help. First off, I reside in eastern Texas/DFW and have a 2006 Malibu LS V6. I first encountered the reduced engine power at the end of last winter (early February 2014). Only happening to me once, I thought nothing of it. I went the rest of the warmer portion of the year without any problems. Well now that winter has returned, the problem is back and at full force. I've even been on the interstate doing 75 mph and have it pop on recently....lowering my speed drastically which is very dangerous because of those behind me. I can't even count how many times it's happened to me from late November/December alone. Whenever it does happen, I'm forced to pull over and restart the car. I do travel often...going back and forth from school to home during holidays as I'm a college student. I've searched the internet and saw many people mentioning the throttle body as the problem. So recently I actually cleaned majority of the carbon/mess in the throttle body and sure enough the problem went away for about three days...although I'm not sure if it was even cold enough for the problem to reoccur. However now it's back. Maybe I didn't clean the body good enough? I dunno. Here are the codes that I pulled:

P0401
P0496
P2101

Really just want to get this behind me and fixed. Doesn't feel good driving the car and not feeling safe. For what it's worth, I drove it today and had no problems. However it is 59 degrees outside. Any help well be appreciated. Thank you.

Also: if I'm in park while the car is in reduced engine power..the car shakes and the engine starts going crazy as if I'm pressing down on the gas.
The following users liked this post:
Bosoxinny (February 5th, 2022)
Old December 29th, 2014, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Mali2006

This ESC Engine Power Reduced problem, has nothing to do with actual temperature. I live in Phoenix AZ, and this unsafe act continues to happen during the temperatures of 38 - 70 degrees. This problem has not been pin pointed as to what the real problem is with the Chevy Dealerships.

It started with the Fuel Module, and Fuel sensor replacement, over $1000.00! Ever since the "Fuel Sensor" was replaced, nothing has operated correctly with this vehicle.

I agree this is completed 100% UNSAFE, DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING.

GM/CHEVY, must stand up and be behind correcting this major Unsafe problem, before their consumers get injured, or die.
Old January 1st, 2015, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Saber
This ESC Engine Power Reduced problem, has nothing to do with actual temperature. I live in Phoenix AZ, and this unsafe act continues to happen during the temperatures of 38 - 70 degrees.
In my case, this problem only occurs during the winter. 50 degrees and up...the car runs fine. But days like today where it's 35 degrees...the car continues with its reduce engine power BS.

I've searched and searched for answers and it seems that no one has any real solutions. I'm so frustrated. When I see a chevy commercial come on TV now....I can only sit back and wonder why GM insist on advertising their garbage cars. Seems that Ford is the only American made vehicle worth anything nowadays.

All I want is my damn car fixed without any run around on what MAY be the problem...shouldn't be hard to pinpoint the issue. Tired of this..
Old January 3rd, 2015, 1:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saber
I agree this is completed 100% UNSAFE, DANGEROUS AND LIFE THREATENING.

GM/CHEVY, must stand up and be behind correcting this major Unsafe problem, before their consumers get injured, or die.
Yes... better to be like the old days - and have the car completely die and stall immediately while driving.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 1:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mali2006
In my case, this problem only occurs during the winter. 50 degrees and up...the car runs fine. But days like today where it's 35 degrees...the car continues with its reduce engine power BS.

I've searched and searched for answers and it seems that no one has any real solutions. I'm so frustrated. When I see a chevy commercial come on TV now....I can only sit back and wonder why GM insist on advertising their garbage cars. Seems that Ford is the only American made vehicle worth anything nowadays.

All I want is my damn car fixed without any run around on what MAY be the problem...shouldn't be hard to pinpoint the issue. Tired of this..
Have you had your car checked at a dealer? Or you just doing the backyard mechanic stuff and getting no where? Thought so.
Old January 10th, 2015, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Have you had your car checked at a dealer? Or you just doing the backyard mechanic stuff and getting no where? Thought so.
I'm getting no where with post like this. Why'd you even bother replying if you had no helpful insight?
Old January 14th, 2015, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine power reduced.

I have had the same problem with my maxx and only in cold weather , but cant seem to find any way to fix it , internet , dealer , or regular mechanic . Anyone with info on this would be great..
Old January 14th, 2015, 5:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi heathbbusy,

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I understand that you have not been able to find a fix after looking on the internet, and working with the dealership and an independent mechanic. Although I'm unable to provide technical advice, I can certainly look further into this matter for you. Feel free to send me a private message with more information if my help is needed. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 6th, 2015, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer???

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
I have the same problem! It happens when it's cold or rainy and I live in tucson AZ and yes have taken it to more than one lovely Chevy dealer and they still have not fixed it. They do not know what is wrong. I would trust a back yard mechanic over Chevy at this point. Guess when it knocks out on the freeway again and kills my family they might try to find the issue and fix it