Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Sad day for the bu'

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2013, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sad day for the bu'

Today I brought my 06 3.5l Bu into the dealership to have the brakes checked. They ended up doing an inspection and finding a lower intake gasket leak. I don't have the best knowledge on cars, so I came here for help. The car runs perfect. I didn't suspect anything was wrong except needing new brakes. I even made the guy show me the leak and everything. It was a Chevy dealership and they estimated that the fix would be $680. Is this a fair price? How urgent is this repair? Again, car drives great and there are no check engine lights on. Thanks for any input!
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if its a damp wet stain let it go for now. if its at the point that you can see drops of coolant; get it repaired.
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

It's actually neither. It's dried up black gunk (probably oil). Don't really have any puddles under the car except clear fluid. The guy said that I should just get my brakes fixed and schedule another appointment. So I'm assuming it should be good for another couple months until I have enough money?
Old January 25th, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Had this issue with 2 previously owned GM v6s

'94 Lumina Euro 3.1 and '02 Grand Prix 3100
As good as I can remember you won't see the leak. It is an internal leak.
The lower intake gasket leaks coolant into the oil or the other way around. At any rate it's not good. The longer it goes the worse it can get. This has been an issue with the v6s since 1990. Why the factory still uses the bad gasket set is beyond me. They have had a revised set for as long as I can remember, why not put them on at the factory? Who knows, probably a money thing.