Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Tire pressure / PSI decrease

Old October 12th, 2012, 3:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure / PSI decrease

I own a 2012 Malibu (1640miles) the other day (about a week ago) i received an email from onstar diagnostics telling me all 4 tires were reading 27psi, i had my mechanic bump them up to 31psi, all was well until I was looking over the systems info buttons on the steering wheel, the info center said my tires were now reading 28 psi i live in the east coast (Boston) and we've had some chilly mornings already, i was told this 28 psi reading is a cold reading and it is therefore "normal" is this the case or do i need to have it looked at, i do realize pressure can change and weather can have ALOT to do with it, anyway hopefully, Thank you in advance.

Coop

PS : The TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) light is NOT and has NOT come on , not once, so my way of thinking is why is the pressure going down, should i take a ride to the gas station and bring the tires up the pressure or leave it alone and call the dealer in the morning, quite frankly i would rather take the ride but playing it safe and give a call to the dealer would be smarter i think, who knows, to think i just bought this car about 5 weeks ago.

Last edited by 9one1; October 12th, 2012 at 9:57 AM.
Old October 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE

WOW - 73 views and no replies, is it that bad of a post ? ?
Old October 12th, 2012, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Location: Physically in Norhtern VA, my heart is in SW Virginia.

A lot of people will disagree with me but I run my tires + 5 psi over spec. A bit firmer ride. But the payoff is it handles better in all conditions and the outer edges last a lot longer plus better mpg. My wifes van has the nitrogen fill and it does make a difference to maintain tire psi at a more even tire pressure with the temps getting colder. I check and set as needed my tires weekly. As for the moitor if the lights not on I would worry about it. Info over kill. I would be concerned if one tire changes pressure and the others dont. Manufacturers spec the pressures too soft as they want a soft smooth ride for first impression. I spoke with a tire engineer in Greenville South Carolina and he said +5 psi really gets you where it should be anyway. The pressure spec is decieded by the mfg and they dont carry the tire warranty liability so they will go with a pressure that will boost the image of the product.
Old October 12th, 2012, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

@Tools55 - So if j bump up the pressure to, say, 33 psi will that hurt the tire and wear,because personally i would rather have them higher, i like a firm ride.

Coop
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Wink Tire Pressure

I have a 2012 Malibu(LS)...about 6,500 miles and 6 months old...

The tire information on the car reads 30 PSI...which in my opinion is way too low...none of the cars I have ever owned..did I run 30 PSI(cold) sitting longer than 3 hours...

Most tire manufacturers recommend 32 to 35 depending on tire size and type.

For me, I run at 32 PSI and the ride is fine...and will not affect tire performance or wear..

I live in the Chicago area were temps can vary quite a lot...and some tires on the car increase or decrease the amount of air differently...this is normal..

In the cold, you lose air and when warm they increase(also while driving)..no big thing..

Set your tires 32-33 PSI...you will be glad you did...ride/handling is much better than 30 PSI....

Good luck...