Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

torque converter - question

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2006, 4:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter - question

Hi all.

IHA 97 Malibu 2.4L automatic. Once the tranny warms up it shifts really hard. Stalls at stoplights unless I put it in neutral. I had it put on a tester and it came back with "torque converter switch open". My mechanic said this is not a huge expense to replace the switch however I do have to watch the pennies. He said it was tricky to get at but could be done by me. Problem is, I don't know where that switch is located or how to replace it.

Any advice would be most welcome as this is my only car.

Thanks gang.
Old November 17th, 2006, 2:09 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: torque converter - question

The torque converter has a lockup switch that locks up an internal clutch through a solenoid. If it's " open " then iy's in lockup. That would explain the stalling out. Kinda like letting out a clutch on a standard without giving it gas. Pick up a Chilton Repair Manual for that vehicle and it will explain how to change it and give the location.
Old November 17th, 2006, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: torque converter - question

HI, yeah, that's more or less the problem; however, the Chilton’s manual only covers rudimentary drive train issues. It has a diagram of the function of a torque converter but no mention of the switch or solenoid to replace for this scenario. I have read some articles on similar cars stating there is an access plate that is removed and the switch can be replaced. That is the information I need. Where on a 2.4L 97 Malibu is the switch located and what do I need to do to replace.

Thanks by the way for the quick reply!