Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Transmission? Electrical? Bad solder connection?

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2016, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission? Electrical? Bad solder connection?

My fiance has a 2011 Chevy Malibu that she started having problems with today, researching the problem has led me to this forum. I've been reading about some people receiving a recall notice pertaining to the service esc/stabilitrack issues, however she has not received anything and the only open recall I can see is for a seat belt(which the dealer is supposed to have ordered the parts for several weeks ago).
This morning her check engine light came online and the transmission would not shift. She was close to work luckily, I traded her vehicles this afternoon and drove her car home. When I started her car the check engine light was on and showed codes p0700 and p0717, but everything seemed normal as I drove down the road. In the information display is popped up and said low fuel for a split second even though there is 3/4s of a tank, it flashed this a few times. Then all of a sudden as I was driving around 40mph the car downshifted hard and I had to slow down to around 20mph, all the gauge needles started fluctuating and bouncing from high to low before finally stopping working all together. The information display was going through low fuel, low washer fluid, service esc, power steering, etc and the yellow traction control light was on. I pulled over, shut the car off, checked the codes again and had p0700, p0717, and p0716 this time. I cleared them again, restarted the car, and drove off. After about a mile the check engine light came on and I was again dropped down to first gear and was forced to drive around 25-30mph with the rpms really high. The gauges nor information display ever acted up again, and this time codes were just p0700 and p0717.
I've read through countless threads and see suggestions from ecm, throttle body, bad solder connection on the gas pedal, etc. I plan on getting the car to the dealer but the service department is closed on saturdays I believe and trying to find out what's in store for us.
Old January 10th, 2016, 2:52 PM
CF Veteran

Those codes point towards an input speed sensor issue, whether its wiring or the sensor or worse case scenario mechanical. Unfortunately you have to dig inside the tranny a little to get to it so I wouldn't recommend trying on your own unless you have experience with stuff like this.
Old January 10th, 2016, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
Those codes point towards an input speed sensor issue, whether its wiring or the sensor or worse case scenario mechanical. Unfortunately you have to dig inside the tranny a little to get to it so I wouldn't recommend trying on your own unless you have experience with stuff like this.

Unfortunately nobody around me had the ISS in stock or else I would have tried that first since the sensor is cheap. I have no issue lowering the tranny and pulling the cover off, but dont want to wait to have one shipped. Im having the car towed to the dealer tomorrow morning and will let them look at it. I have drove it around some more and it continuously kicks p0700, p0716, and p0717 and just acts as if it has no idea when to shift so hoping just the sensor. Stopped driving it after it was stuck in 3rd gear and couldn't get it to downshift.

Thanks for the input