Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

07 SS Fuel Economy

Old November 15th, 2007, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 SS Fuel Economy

So, I'm just curious. Do the 07 SS Malibu's with the 3.9 get crappy gas milage, or is it just my car? My last tank went for 286km's. I'm in Canada, so you'll forgive me if I don't know the conversion. I DO know, hoever, that it is supposed to get 22m/per gal. in the city, and 33 on the freeway. I drive about 30 a day. I only have to stop at about12 lights, there and back.But mostly its open driving.

It gets about as good a miliage as my 1959 Parkwood station wagon with a 283.

Any idea's what this could be? Or is it all in my head?
Old November 15th, 2007, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 07 SS Fuel Economy

nope all malibus suck on gas .... i feel the injectors are the culprit.... try a k&n filter helps a wittle bit...tiny bit..
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SS = Gas Guzzler
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ya but the trade off for the fun factor is AWSOME.........had mine almost 2 and a half years now, best I could get on the highway was 10.2 L pr 100 KM which is about 29 MPG and in town....LOL I average around 14-16 L per 100 km which is about 17-20 mpg, its not good, and mine was really bad when I first got it, break it in a bit......If I drive it hard which I do often, I can hit almost 20L per 100km..........and if you have a command start on it and use it, THAT will make it way worse...

All malibus are not hard on gas, your SS has a few differences from other BU's, you still have rack and pinion steering VS electronic, and you have a push rod engine, hence the awsome torque VS other V6 malibus the 3.5 is an overhead cam........revs like crazy but no torque compared to the 3.9......

Alls I can tell you is enjoy the car, its not gonna get corolla, Cobalt gas milage, but the trade off in fun is what I gets me, I added a K&N and even flashed the car, and changed the torue curve, and shift points......another problem with the SS is it only has a 4 speed and redlines at around 150 in factory spec, The flash helped a bit, brought the RPMs down, and now I can get 130 in 2nd and top end is over 185 and still going....ran out of road....and compared to before the flash, 2nd I could only hit about 80-90 and be redline, and 150 was redline before......

its a fun car, looks good, but ya the gas milage is not so great...
Old November 16th, 2007, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info! I see by the #'s that I'm in the ball park. Like I was saying, I was concerned cause my '59 Chev gets about the same miliage. I've even started shifting it with the manual shifter, (electronic shift), to see if that helps at all.

What is "Command start"? If thats the same as "autostart", then yah, I use it everyday. Maybe I'll stop doing that, and only use it on really cold, or really hot days.

I have a K&N in mine. I was bummed that there wasn't an intake for it, but what can you do? You say you flashed your comp. Where did you do that? I sell performance stuff, and I havn't seen an upgrade for it yet.....as a matter of fact, I havn't found ANYTHING for it.

Thanks agian, for the info, Malibu!
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Pro Member

sadly you wont find much for it, however the G6 GTP uses the same engine for a year or 2, but not much for it either, the 3.9 is done in the GM world so dont expect to see much.....you can use the CAI from the G6 and minor mod it fits....The flash a tech in the back where I work did it, he develops all the crap for the Dmaxs.....Very good guy,

the manual shift will make it worse on fuel, just because you will end up driving more agggressivly.....and the SS modle WILL NOT shift for you, the others with the 3.5 will shift on their own even in manual mode, the SS will not, if you like me I forget sometimes Im still in second as I blast down the road at 80 and the stereo cranked, even still the RPM will be higher between shifts as opposed to useing automatic...

the 3.9 is being replaced with the 3.6 offered in a couple variations, getting up to 300 HP.....the 3.9 is still torquier, but the 3.6 offers more power and better on fuel.........so ya sorry no goodies for the 3.9...I have looked into this......

http://www.ststurbo.com/

but mine is a temp car till the CAmaro is out, so Im not willing to spendthe money, the same guy who flashed mine wnats me to and has offered to install it for almost nothing, but still I gots less then 2 years on my lease and the Camaro is out late 09 early 2010, so my lease is up march 2010.
Old November 17th, 2007, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

The real question is................how much are the new Camero's gonna cost? If they are not in the same range as the Mustang or some of the Dodge's..............then there is just gonna be another SSr on thier hands. Cool, as long as it's affordable.
Old November 17th, 2007, 6:23 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: Stovebolt

The real question is................how much are the new Camero's gonna cost? If they are not in the same range as the Mustang or some of the Dodge's..............then there is just gonna be another SSr on thier hands. Cool, as long as it's affordable.
who cares its a camaro not a POS charger.....or low class Stang......and its supposed to be comparable the charger but more then a mustang, but Stangs are built on 50 year old platforms so its WAY cheaper to produce them....