Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2000 Chevy Malibu 3.1L Clicking and dinging noises

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Chevy Malibu 3.1L Clicking and dinging noises

I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu 3.1L Standard with about 100K miles. In recent months it started making noises. The noises are the clicking from the turn signals and the dinging noise you hear if you leave the keys in the ignition and open your door. I don’t hear the dinging noise so much but if it starts clicking for a long period of time it will start to make the dinging noise. The clicking is actually made by the hazard switch. I tried replacing that twice. The first time I replaced it seemed to fix it for a couple months. The second time I replaced it, it didn’t even last a day. I'm hoping this is something I can fix myself because I don’t really have any time to take it to a mechanic. This is my only car and I'm full time student as well as being employed full time. So I'd be greatly appreciative if someone can offer their experience because thing is driving me crazy.
Old October 4th, 2010, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default Turn Signal Clicking Noise

Hi,
I have a 2002 Malibu, and had the same problem. Thinking it was the hazard switch, I changed it. This did not cure the problem. This left only the signal switch. Unfortunately this is a multifunction switch and controls the lights, signals, horn, etc. I changed this switch. You can only get it at a dealer.
$100. The noise has gone, but I do not know for how long. 8 mos as of now.

While reading the posts, I came across someone who found out that there is nothing broken in the switch. The problem is the grease they use to lubricate the contacts in the housing. It hardens up and prevents the contact from springing back to the off position once the signal lever is in the off position. This site came complete with pictures showing how to fix the problem. I do not have the url for the site. I will be looking for it again. If I find it, I will post it on this forum. Best of luck.
Old October 6th, 2010, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much for the response.

"While reading the posts, I came across someone who found out that there is nothing broken in the switch. The problem is the grease they use to lubricate the contacts in the housing. It hardens up and prevents the contact from springing back to the off position once the signal lever is in the off position. This site came complete with pictures showing how to fix the problem. I do not have the url for the site. I will be looking for it again. If I find it, I will post it on this forum.""

I think I know the site you are referring to. I tried already taking out the multifunction switch and cleaning it the best I could but still had no luck. Maybe I should just buy a new one like you did. Thanks again for the reply.

Is this the site you were talking about:
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Grand-Am-Turn-Signals