Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Turn signal relay acting up....

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2007, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal relay acting up....

Forgive my ignorance but I don't have a Chevy..although my daughter does....she has a 2005 Malibu Classic with about 80k miles on it. About a week ago she said the flashers startedclicking a little AFTER the turn signal had been turned off. So I checked her car out last night and it seems that when the turn signal shuts off, about 3 -5 seconds after, you can hear the relay click a couple more times, no flashing. It doesn't do it all the time, but about 3 out of 5 times it does. Now normally I would just get another relay and replace it...but the wierd thing is, (weird to me at least...I drive an F350), it seems like the relay is located up and in the center of the dash. At least that is where I can hear it clicking when in use and the additional clicks afterwards. I checked the manual and it just shows the usual fuse panels but nothing for the flasher relay. Where is it and how do I get to it?[&:]

Thanks all!
Old November 29th, 2007, 7:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Turn signal relay acting up....

I had pretty much the same thing on a99 Malibu.
It was the turn signal switchassembly that needed replacing.
Old November 29th, 2007, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Turn signal relay acting up....

So the MF switch in the column? Should be easy enough.....I have done a few of those.

Thanks!
Old December 20th, 2015, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem. I know it is an easy replacement...but I am having problems removing the steering column cover. I have 3 screws that look like hex heads. I have tried all my allen wrenchs...no luck.

Any ideas?
Old December 22nd, 2015, 8:48 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cdiphil
I have the same problem. I know it is an easy replacement...but I am having problems removing the steering column cover. I have 3 screws that look like hex heads. I have tried all my allen wrenchs...no luck.

Any ideas?
You need a set of Torx bits. Half of the car is held together with Torx head fasteners. Be sure and get a good set such as Craftsman.
Old December 29th, 2015, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

it may be the hazard switch as the signals run through it and the switch malfunctions ,or the multiswitch,but like mr im told by dealers replace the hazard switch first,another great idea by the folks at gm.