Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2014, 9:01 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sd1097
I have recently had this happen twice in the past week with my 2011 Malibu LTZ. The first time it happened I was sitting with the car in park in an automatic car wash and it started dinging and said 'REDUCED ENGINE POWER' and then it flashed something about the traction system, and the engine light came on. I drove it home, with no actual power issues except a slight decline in acceleration ability. I let the car sit for the rest of the day and the next morning it worked flawlessly. I was driving to work this morning in the rain and it did it again?? still no reduction in actual power, but it is telling me i have reduced engine power again? Has anyone found out if this is, in fact, covered under warranty? I really don't want to sink money into trying to find out the cause of this...... any help is greatly appreciated!!
Welcome to the forum...
The most obvious sign I see here is water, once when you were at the car wash and again when it was raining.....
you might want to check all of the wheel speed sensors connections for clean and solid fit. remove and reconnect the harness at each sensor, check for any corrosion or worn wires
Old March 28th, 2014, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the Wheel speed sensors, is that something I can do myself or should I take it somewhere and have them check it. I did get the underbody/rocker panel spray that day too, so not sure if that makes it seem more likely to be the problem you've mentioned or not.
Old March 29th, 2014, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum...
The most obvious sign I see here is water, once when you were at the car wash and again when it was raining.....
you might want to check all of the wheel speed sensors connections for clean and solid fit. remove and reconnect the harness at each sensor, check for any corrosion or worn wires
The final solution for my 2011 malibu seems to have been replacing the whole throttle body. The reduced engine power situation has not happened to me since. I have encountered several gm car owners who have experienced the same problem and they have said replacing the throttle body was the solution. I was told by chevy dealership it was only covered under warranty up to 35000 miles. I was getting my car inspected yesterday and while i was waiting anotger customer walked in who was driving a chevy. He described the same problem and said it happenedto him on the highway while he was driving 70 mph. The mechanic immediately stated that it must be the throttle body and said it was a common gm problem. Sounds like the next class action lawsuit to me. I hope nobody has been hurt by this as i was nearly in a wreck over it. As soon as i am able i will be buying a non gm car.
Old April 15th, 2014, 9:32 PM
CF Junior Member

The final solution for my 2011 malibu seems to have been replacing the whole throttle body. The reduced engine power situation has not happened to me since. I have encountered several gm car owners who have experienced the same problem and they have said replacing the throttle body was the solution. I was told by chevy dealership it was only covered under warranty up to 35000 miles. I was getting my car inspected yesterday and while i was waiting anotger customer walked in who was driving a chevy. He described the same problem and said it happenedto him on the highway while he was driving 70 mph. The mechanic immediately stated that it must be the throttle body and said it was a common gm problem. Sounds like the next class action lawsuit to me. I hope nobody has been hurt by this as i was nearly in a wreck over it. As soon as i am able i will be buying a non gm car.
Why was this not covered under the 5/100K power train warranty ?
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Throttle Body

They did not tell me why the throttle body was only covered to 35K miles, blue-impala, the Chevy Dealer just told me that was the case. It has not happened to me since they replaced the throttle body, though. Since I don't drive that much right now, I will keep this car for maybe one year, then I plan to get out from under it. I will NEVER take it on a road trip again, though, it is just too dangerous.
Old April 16th, 2014, 2:29 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi greenfield3,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations. If you would like to further discuss your concerns, please send us a private message and we would be happy to further research.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by greenfield3
They did not tell me why the throttle body was only covered to 35K miles, blue-impala, the Chevy Dealer just told me that was the case. It has not happened to me since they replaced the throttle body, though. Since I don't drive that much right now, I will keep this car for maybe one year, then I plan to get out from under it. I will NEVER take it on a road trip again, though, it is just too dangerous.
Old April 18th, 2014, 1:33 PM
CF Junior Member

I recently experienced the same problem - see my posts in the Impala forum about "Warning . . ."
I can't recommend strongly enough that anyone experiencing this problem file a complaint with NHTSA. It can be done on-line and only takes a few minutes.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This is a very dangerous situation - I dread thinking about what will happen when this occurs in the middle of Atlanta, on the 401 in Toronto, or any major freeway.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default happened again!

Believe it or not this happened to me AGAIN today. On my way to the airport. Luckily I coasted in to airport parking. I had to catch my flight but have to return home to my car being stranded in airport parking. I am at a loss. Time to call my lawyer. Still lucky to not have had an accident.
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi greenfield3,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations. If you would like to further discuss your concerns, please send us a private message and we would be happy to further research.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 24th, 2014, 8:14 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi greenfield3,

I am sorry to hear this issue occurred again! Please send us a private message so we may discuss further steps in a resolution. We look forward to assisting.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by greenfield3
Believe it or not this happened to me AGAIN today. On my way to the airport. Luckily I coasted in to airport parking. I had to catch my flight but have to return home to my car being stranded in airport parking. I am at a loss. Time to call my lawyer. Still lucky to not have had an accident.
Old April 25th, 2014, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default 07 chevy hhr engine light reduced engine power

i was turning when my engine light came on and the message showed reduced engine power i have a manual so it only was acting up when in 1st and when switching gears. i have a driving job so this is really scary when hooked up to a computer it says something about the throttle what should i do?

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!