Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2014, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sent a private message to Chevy Customer Care as Jessica requested. I will update this forum when I can. I spoke with Chevy before and they said they would not do anything to help me because I did not by it from a Chevy authorized dealer. We will see. Meanwhile, I have to figure out how I am getting to work on Monday and what to do with my "lemon."
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello Jennie,

I just sent you a private message. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello!

I have received your private message and will be in contact with you soon. Thank you.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by greenfield3
I sent a private message to Chevy Customer Care as Jessica requested. I will update this forum when I can. I spoke with Chevy before and they said they would not do anything to help me because I did not by it from a Chevy authorized dealer. We will see. Meanwhile, I have to figure out how I am getting to work on Monday and what to do with my "lemon."
Old April 25th, 2014, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Here is the reply I received from Chevy Customer Care:
Hi Tamara,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have read through your thread and looked through your previous case from last year. If you have retained a lawyer, our customer service department will be unable to further assist. Since the concern is still present in the vehicle, we would be happy to contact a dealership in your area to assist with a diagnosis. At this time, we are unable to guarantee cost assistance. The dealership you have utilized before is no longer in our system. I have located a dealership near you based on your zip code:

Jim Ellis Chevrolet
5900 PEACHTREE INDUSTRIAL BLVD
CHAMBLEE, GA 30341-1631
(770) 457-8211

Would this dealership be convenient for you? If so, I can have them reach out to you regarding an appointment time. If you would prefer to have the vehicle towed there, you may contact our Roadside Assistance department at 800-243-8971. Please let me know what you decide.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jenniegonzalez
i was turning when my engine light came on and the message showed reduced engine power i have a manual so it only was acting up when in 1st and when switching gears. i have a driving job so this is really scary when hooked up to a computer it says something about the throttle what should i do?
Replace the bad part.
Old April 28th, 2014, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JimK
I recently experienced the same problem - see my posts in the Impala forum about "Warning . . ."
I can't recommend strongly enough that anyone experiencing this problem file a complaint with NHTSA. It can be done on-line and only takes a few minutes.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This is a very dangerous situation - I dread thinking about what will happen when this occurs in the middle of Atlanta, on the 401 in Toronto, or any major freeway.
I did enter a complaint on this website, thank you for your post. I also found a lot of other complaints which were exactly the same! This is obviously a known issue, so why would they(GM) not be doing anything about it??? Do people have to die to get their attention?
Old April 28th, 2014, 3:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Greenfield3, I filed a complaint with GMC customer service which was essentially useless. They said they had no service bulletins regarding the problem!
I also sent my complaint to Mary T. Barra, GM's CEO. I received a call back from one of her assistants, Dorthea, who said they had to research the problem and would get back to me. When I suggested they check out Chevy Forums she said they don't consider "social media." There is a special group that monitors social media but they won't consider it in their research. If you want to add your complaint, the address is:
Mary T Barra, CEO
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, MI 48156
Maybe it's time to compile a list of these complaints and forward them to CNN!
Old April 28th, 2014, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Found another thread on Edmunds.com with people who are having the same problem. Thought it might be of interest. There is also someone with an Impala on the thread. Link below.

2011 Malibu Engine power reduced - Car Forums at Edmunds.com
Old April 29th, 2014, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Took my car to the dealership in Atlanta as instructed by the GM Customer Care representative. She called the service manager and described the history of issues with my car. The dealership just called me and said that the "prongs" on the "wire harness" that connect to the ECM need to be "reworked" and this will cost $500!!! She swears there is nothing else that could go wrong after this because I have already replaced the ECM AND the throttle body. What? This has happened 6 times. Waiting for a response from GM.
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having issues with my 2008 chevy malibu 2lt.. It keeps giving me a msg that says Engine Power Reduced/Service ESC/Service Traction & Code: P2135.. Not sure what is wrong yet, it has been at the mechanics for over 3 days now..

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!