Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Old December 20th, 2016, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Huuuyouyou,

Our apologies for the delay in our response, however, I can confirm that our team has just responded to your private message. Please review it at your earliest convenience, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you very much for your help, but can not help me to solved the problem. Chevrolet does not do anything to solved the problem acturely, they just leave it there as bait to collect money from there customer.
Old December 20th, 2016, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Johnnybarz
I hope Chelsea or somebody from Chevy Customer Care gets back to me:

I am completely done with GM, all Chevy makes & models & anything American period. This is the 4th issue I've had with my 2007 Chevy Malibu & this Full Throttle Body needs to be recalled like everything else. I have to kick out $1k to fix this issue to include parts & labor. First, my power steering went out on me while driving on the highway & almost got me killed a few years ago. I paid $1,400 out of pocket to fix the issue & once it was recalled, I only got $850 of my money back & had to fight for that. Second, the brake light harness was recalled which luckily I didn't have to pay out of pocket to fix. Third, it became hard to shift from park to reverse or drive & that's when the next recall notice came in. The gear shift needed to replaced & again, luckily I didn't have to come out of pocket. Now there's this 4th issue with Full Throttle Body that needs replacing. I wonder how much of my $1k will be refunded once it's recalled? I'm sure it will by the amount of complaints I see in this forum. GM won't help with any financial assistance & I have had it up to my neck with this vehicle. I'm going to trade it in next year & be done with it. Thanks for nothing but headache & hardship GM & Chevy.
Yes you are right. "Thanks for nothing but headache & hardship GM & Chevy".
Today I received a call from them they just want me to buy their Malibu 2017, do you think this is the right solution for this thread 'VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!'?????
Old December 20th, 2016, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Huuuyouyou
Yes you are right. "Thanks for nothing but headache & hardship GM & Chevy".
Today I received a call from them they just want me to buy their Malibu 2017, do you think this is the right solution for this thread 'VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!'?????
I received the same call today with the same offer. It would be different if they traded the new Malibu for my old one free of charge but they're not going to do that. I'll never purchase another GM/Chevy vehicle again.
Old January 11th, 2017, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue here - in Alaska

2011 Malibu with 55k miles. Doing precisely this same stuff. Owned it just over a year and spent most of my time with it doing weird crap. Air Bag lights, then Tire Warning lights......now this winter, the ESC/Engine Failure stuff.

My finance co. made me buy an extended warranty ($2,000 added to my purchase price) but I am still having to pay $250 Deductible everytime I have this fixed!! Now this ESC issue is something the dealers service guys seems confused about the root cause of and I am in Alaska with no other dealers to go to or bordering states to go try.

Chevy, you have really dropped a ball here. 👎👎
Old January 11th, 2017, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by klg1980
2011 Malibu with 55k miles. Doing precisely this same stuff. Owned it just over a year and spent most of my time with it doing weird crap. Air Bag lights, then Tire Warning lights......now this winter, the ESC/Engine Failure stuff.

My finance co. made me buy an extended warranty ($2,000 added to my purchase price) but I am still having to pay $250 Deductible everytime I have this fixed!! Now this ESC issue is something the dealers service guys seems confused about the root cause of and I am in Alaska with no other dealers to go to or bordering states to go try.

The ESC/Engine stuff is most likely the full body throttle as a whole or just the full throttle body pig tail (harness). With you being in Alaska, Chevy definitely won't work with you or help in anyway. Plus since your car is a 2011 & it's now 2017, their excuse is that "we don't help with any type of assistance on any vehicle 6 years or older." Every Chevy owner needs to file a class action lawsuit & try to hurt their pockets cause this is ridiculous. I hope you have better luck than we all did though.
Old January 12th, 2017, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

I do not have a Malibu, but I have a 2011 chevy hhr that is doing this I am having the same issue. It is happening everyday and I don't want to pay the money to get this fixed after reading these post. Chevy you need to step up and recall this because someone is seriously going to get hurt.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Contennia Tripp
I do not have a Malibu, but I have a 2011 chevy hhr that is doing this I am having the same issue. It is happening everyday and I don't want to pay the money to get this fixed after reading these post. Chevy you need to step up and recall this because someone is seriously going to get hurt.

SMDH, come on Chevy take the initiative & do something.
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnybarz
I received the same call today with the same offer. It would be different if they traded the new Malibu for my old one free of charge but they're not going to do that. I'll never purchase another GM/Chevy vehicle again.
Originally Posted by klg1980

Originally Posted by Contennia Tripp
Johnnybarz, klg1980, Contennia Tripp,

We're very sorry to hear about these ongoing concerns with your vehicles, as this is certainly not the ownership experience we want our customers to have. As we are not trained technicians, we rely heavily on our dealerships to provide all technical diagnostic information. A physical diagnosis is needed in order to understand the cause of the concern. We recommend visiting your dealerships for a diagnostic if you haven't yet, and if you have and would like further assistance, please feel free to send us a private message.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 19th, 2017, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Johnnybarz, klg1980, Contennia Tripp,

We're very sorry to hear about these ongoing concerns with your vehicles, as this is certainly not the ownership experience we want our customers to have. As we are not trained technicians, we rely heavily on our dealerships to provide all technical diagnostic information. A physical diagnosis is needed in order to understand the cause of the concern. We recommend visiting your dealerships for a diagnostic if you haven't yet, and if you have and would like further assistance, please feel free to send us a private message.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chelsea D.,

I got an official diagnosis and then the very next day I ended up with the car in South Anchorage Chevrolet's shop for it (and more).

Even though I also have a Lithia Assured extended warranty, the new Throttle Body I ended up needing was not covered by it OR by Chevy in any way.

So, Chelsea (and Chevrolet), once again the issue is exactly as has been said here: your shoddy parts and lack of action!

$700 later....... 😣😣
Old January 26th, 2017, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Just had this problem on our 2011 Chevy Suburban, stopped at Lockwood motors in Marshall MN. On our way to vacation they ran the codes and are installing the new throttle position sensor while I wait, covered by recall. Hope this takes care of it. Very nice dealership and people to deal with my family and I have only waited for about 45 mins.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!