Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Windshield Washer/Wiper switch wont activate washer and intermittent wipers.

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2011, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Washer/Wiper switch wont activate washer and intermittent wipers.

I have removed the electrical connectors from the washer pump at the reservoir and connected 12 vdc directly and the pump works. I have tested the power coming from the plug and when the button is pressed on the steering console washer control arm i get roughly 12vdc for a second and then the power drops to 0. There is a second connection on the reservoir to a device inside the reservoir (another pump perhaps) and that plug has a constant 12vdc supply regardless of whether i press the washer button or not. With both power sources removed and the button pressed it activates the intermittent wipers for the wash period but the pump does not pump.

anyone have any ideas whats going on here...or where can i get a wiring diagram for the windshield washer control/pump assembly?
Old April 11th, 2011, 5:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The "second connection on the reservoir to a device inside" would be the washer fluid level switch. It closes the signal voltage to ground when the fluid gets low enough. Now, what exactly do you have, Malibu or Malibu Classic? You'd need to know this information when you go to look up anything at the local library or get an online subscription to DIY sites like alldatadiy.com or eautorepair.net.
Old April 12th, 2011, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Windshield Washer/Wiper switch wont activate washer and intermittent wipers.

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. The "second connection on the reservoir to a device inside" would be the washer fluid level switch. It closes the signal voltage to ground when the fluid gets low enough. Now, what exactly do you have, Malibu or Malibu Classic? You'd need to know this information when you go to look up anything at the local library or get an online subscription to DIY sites like alldatadiy.com or eautorepair.net.
EinST..thanks for this..my vehicle is a Malibu LS 3.5 L V6. Is it safe to assume then that the fluid level switch is used only to trigger the "low washer fluid" message in the dashboard information center? Would this affect the circuit to activate the pump when the button is pressed or could the failure to activate the pump be a potential BCM problem?
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In that case, the BCM does get involved but I don't think the fluid level switch has anything to do with the washer pump control. It would be so much easier if you had a Tech 2 to read out the washer switch state. Anyway, when the washer switch is closed at the windshield wiper/washer switch, there should be an accessory voltage (hot in ACC or RUN) on the ORG wire that goes to BCM connector C4 (on the back side of BCM), terminal B1. Then, there should be a voltage on the ORG wire from BCM connector C3 (in BCM J3), terminal C12. That wire goes to underhood fuse block connector C2 (on the bottom side of fuse block), terminal A6, out of connector C3, terminal A7, and then onto the washer pump. Verify the ground potential on the ground wire at the washer pump and then track the voltage side back?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
In that case, the BCM does get involved but I don't think the fluid level switch has anything to do with the washer pump control. It would be so much easier if you had a Tech 2 to read out the washer switch state. Anyway, when the washer switch is closed at the windshield wiper/washer switch, there should be an accessory voltage (hot in ACC or RUN) on the ORG wire that goes to BCM connector C4 (on the back side of BCM), terminal B1. Then, there should be a voltage on the ORG wire from BCM connector C3 (in BCM J3), terminal C12. That wire goes to underhood fuse block connector C2 (on the bottom side of fuse block), terminal A6, out of connector C3, terminal A7, and then onto the washer pump. Verify the ground potential on the ground wire at the washer pump and then track the voltage side back?

Thanks EinST...sorry for the delayed response...this looks like the nfo ive been looking for to self diagnose this problem...ill be taking a look at this in the next few days and let you know how your very excellent advice works out for me..thanks so much for this..really appreciated...
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks EinST...sorry for the delayed response...this looks like the nfo ive been looking for to self diagnose this problem...ill be taking a look at this in the next few days and let you know how your very excellent advice works out for me..thanks so much for this..really appreciated...
Old May 7th, 2011, 4:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by croberts
Good that you got self diagnosis steps. If still the problem persists, i think you need to consult a deealer.