Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

04 Monte SS, P300- Random/Multiple Misfires

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Monte SS, P300- Random/Multiple Misfires

2004 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L not supercharged.
The RPMS drop/stutter randomly, it seems to happen most after i drive it for an hour or 2 then shut it off and restart it and try to drive. The code didnt give any specific cylinder(s). The check engine light only came on 1 time, this was while i was driving and the whole car actually shut off on me like 3 or 4 times, it would restart drive for 5min then crap out. I ended up leaving it on the side of the road that night, came back the morning after and the check engine light was off and it drove fine home. I have changed the plugs and wires although they all seemed good. It happens pretty randomly but like i said earlier it does seem to happen mostly after i have been driving it for over 1 hour or so. A mechanic friend has suggested to change the Camshaft Position Sensor, Coil Packs, and or Catalytic Converter. These arent the cheapest things to replace especially with the labor. So any suggestions, advice, personal experiences are greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> NJdangerous1,

Any aftermarket equipment installed (i.e. alarm system)? Was the PCM recently replaced?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 30th, 2012, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it just has the stock alarm system. and no the PCM wasnt recently replaced. Ive had the car for about 3yrs now this is the 1st major issue ive had with it.
Old June 1st, 2012, 7:55 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Matthew Auriemma,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue with your vehicle. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for additional information. They will be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis after a physical inspection of the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service