Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2001 Monte carlo will not excelerate

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2013, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2001 Monte carlo will not excelerate

Hello I have a 2001 monte carlo that just started sputtering when you excelerate and when you hit about 30mph after you get passed the sputtering it just won't go any faster the rpms seem to stay at about 2 and wont go anywhere. I checked the transmission fluid thinking that could be the problem and it was in fact on the add line so i added fluid and let it sit and tried to drive again with the same result. I did have a pretty steady low coolant light going off before this happened and would just keep adding coolant because i know i need a new radiator but can not get one at the moment. Could that have anything to do with the problem? My tran fluis look red and did not smell burnt so i am curious if it is really a blown tranny or maybe it could be the converter or something. Any help appreciated thank you.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 2:19 PM
CF Active Member

Any check engine lite codes ?

Check the coolant sensor , wiring and connector . See if this is causeing the coolant lite , for sure . And fix / replace the radiator .

Check if the exhaust is stopped up or crushed . Check to see if something is stopping up your combustion air ( red rag in the air cleaner or ducting ? ) .

Lots of electrical and electronic toys that can make it run bad . You need to start chasing some of this stuff down & give us an update .

God bless
Wyr
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Spark plugs and wires , if wires or plugs are going bad your not going to get enough compression to change gears. engine light will only come on if it misfires .. sputtering cause by plugs dead firing
Old October 10th, 2013, 9:45 AM
CF Active Member

Weak fule pump or stopped up fuel filter , or both . I had to replace the fule pump on our 96 3.1L Lumina .

Throttle position sensor .

God bless
Wyr
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Tech from Northeastern Transparts's Avatar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plugged catalytic converter ? Just a guess. Not my area of huge knowledge.