Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1993 Lumina stumbles and/or dies

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2016, 3:24 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default 1993 Lumina stumbles and/or dies

Troubleshooting a '93 Lumina w/ 121K on it that while idling will stumble but continue to run or sometimes will die but restarts easily. Fuel pressure is good and remains so during the stumble or die episode.

Replaced ECM as that seemed to be the consensus online but not in this case.

Cleaned EGR valve (which wasn't really very dirty) but also didn't help.

Will run some HEET thru it next in case it's water in the gas.

Any ideas?
Old August 9th, 2016, 12:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I stumbled across this while looking for info on my 96 Lumina. I had an issue today, just died while driving. Fortunate I was about 1/2 mile from home, and was able to coast into my driveway. Codes PO101, and PO107. I tried restarting while I coasted home, crank no start. I thought the fuel pump just quit. Troubleshooting swapped the a/c relay with fuel pump, started right up. A/C was working before, and after the swap. the PO101 was maf performance, cleaned it. The other issue was the map, I didn't do anything with it other than check the vacuum line, and electrical connection. I still don't know if I have an issue.

73shark, I had that same issue with this car a couple years ago. The ECU was at fault, replaced with an autozone one, same problem. Replaced with a different one, solved. Son said it wasn't reading injector pulse at times.
Old August 9th, 2016, 8:46 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update. The funny thing is that we've never got a check engine lite. Now it won't even start. Think we'll check the gas for water.
Old August 10th, 2016, 7:23 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 73shark
Thanks for the update. The funny thing is that we've never got a check engine lite. Now it won't even start. Think we'll check the gas for water.
I never did either. You might pull the fuel line off from the pump, and pump some out, certainly could be water.
Old August 10th, 2016, 7:13 PM
Administrator

Thought I'd just get it from the gauge fitting and let it settle to check for water. We also didn't get any codes.
Old August 10th, 2016, 7:42 PM
CF Monarch

Thats what I'd do, pump a mason jar full, let it settle water will form at the bottom. My 96 died driving home less than a half mile yesterday, wouldn't restart while coasting home that half mile. I've smelt gas at times after I get out, certainly in either one of our issues to change the fuel filter, won't have any effect if you have water in the gas tank, but......
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1993 lumina and it used to do the same thing. I would drive it and it would stall out of nowhere. Ithought it might have been a bad coil pack but it ended up being the ignition control module. it was a $100 fix and took about an hour.
Old August 20th, 2016, 4:01 PM
Administrator

Thanks. My son's mechanic friend suggested the same thing.