Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1996 Chevy Lumina overheats . . . a lot.

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yeah, Lulu is my baby. I got my license in her. She was my sister's car, so I've ridden in her and had driven it a couple of times before she became mine. Recently had an issue with the door not closing, but that turned out to be a quick fix.

I could have gone with a used engine for about half the price, but I didn't want someone else's problem to become mine. Two blown head gaskets was enough, thank you very much. The first time it blew, we fixed it ourselves, but couldn't understand why it was overheating, so we took it a place up the road. They said they "fixed" it, but when I went to pick it up, it overheated on the way home, so I took it back. They called a couple weeks (weeks!) later and said it was fixed, but we didn't get it out of the parking lot before it was overheating again. We checked the oil and once again found chocolate milk, so the head gasket was blown again. My only consolation is that the place we took it to first is no longer in business.
Old November 18th, 2013, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Going the distance

Well, If my daughter doesn't take the Monte I have, I will repaint it and sell after I get my 93 Dodge Dakota done. Yeah, Another oldie! But, It has some personal attachments to it yet. This one is more of a family heirloom from my late father in law.
Had I not been given this a while back as an everyday driver, I would have never bought one. I am not a Dodge guy. That one has a reman motor in it. And now it needs yet another rear end. The first one locked up as the factory did not put oil in it. It locked up about three months after my father inlaw bought it new. Now, I suspect the rearend was never replaced whole. They lied ot him and pieced it back together with parts. So, far I replaced both wheel cylinders, as one might do in its first 15 years of being on the road. Then, the actual seals on both sides. The dirve shaft Ujoints thinking that was where the vibrations were coming from about 6 years ago. Come to find out after replacing the seals, I noticed the carrier moved upward when I went to turn it to put the diff. locking pin back in it. I thought I was seeing things. So, I continued assy. only thinking that the brake liner was warped from blowing gear lube all over the brake assy., causing it to overheat as if it was being quenched and heat treated, producing an out of round Brake liner. It would vibrate somewhat at 35 and then really nasty at 65. 70 was not bad. 75 was better! LOL! But, guess it wasn't the drum or the joints. The only thing now is the movement I saw, I was now not imagining. So, leads me to believe my father in law was screwed by the no longer in business Dodge dealer here in town. . But, I'll fix that and get er going after she's painted. Good luck on your driving chariot. It's with great pleasure to have chatted and shared some common interests. Saving the relics! LOL!Over and Out, Ksssshhhhhh!
Old April 11th, 2014, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Hey, guys! Got another problem! My transmission is shifting really hard from first to second. The husband says it might be a solenoid, but as we're not experienced with transmissions, we can't be sure. Any ideas?