Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Lumina 1998 (6 cyl) needs re-alignment that can't be performed...

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2011, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Lumina 1998 (6 cyl) needs re-alignment that can't be performed...

...due to manufacturing specifications! Now, I'll explain in more detail.
My left-front wheel was getting weared much more than the rest in its outer part &, when I went to replace both front wheels the seller checked for free-excessive movement & advised me to take the car immediately to an alignment shop, which I did. I explained the wearing issue & that, at the other front wheel there seems to be excessive play. He told me that he owned one such Lumina & had to make some suspension system changes for being able to adjust it correctly. Then he proceeded to put the car in the machine for assessing the specifics of the mis-alignement.
He told me that, according to the machine, the wheel that was getting excess wear was the right one instead of the one I told him. We argued for a while on the subject but, at the end, he left never to be convinced that I knew what I was saying.
After this, I visited some web pages for advise & was told the following:
  1. don't go again to that mechanic;
  2. go to a well-reputed mechanic even if this means to go out of town;
3. there's a kit for fixing this problem that the
manufacturer didn't foresee.

Now, I'm about to ask you guys if it is in fact true that the Camber (or maybe the Caster) in these cars isn't correctable by the usual methods?
Thanks in advanced for any advise by your part!
Old January 27th, 2011, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

i agree with those who said go to another mechanic. i myself have a 95 lumina that has had a few suspension problems, from previous crashes. These cars are built tough and parts are easy to find. I have replaced the springs, control arms, and have had the alignment done 6 times since ive had the vehicle and never have i had a mechanic tell me that alignment is impossible.
Old January 28th, 2011, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for responding, Luminator!
I forgot to state that my car hasn't been crashed, yet. It never required, until now, any alignment job performed on it.
Old January 28th, 2011, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

no problem benny, good thing you haven't had a crash in the car unlike me. i found this article pertaining on the alignment problems check it out maybe it can help you determine where exactly the problem lays.
Old January 28th, 2011, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tr295.htm
Old January 30th, 2011, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Luminator, a very good link/article on the subject. I'm planning to take the car for a 2nd opinion/diagnosis this week.
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Cool

Last night I was waiting in a congested intersection when I suddenly remembered that when I bought this car the seller told me that it had one engine support broken (I'm referring to a rubber-point/base that supports the engine & kill some of the vibrations). After looking at it & giving myself some time to get used to driving a front-wheel car it appeared to be ok & I discarded the thing as not a problem to be fixed immediately.
After learning of this alignment issue in the past weeks & having search in the web for some info I stumbled with a remark somewhere that mentioned that in some cases the rubber suspension of the engine might alter alignment in these front-wheel vehicles.
So, my question is the following: is it possible that Caster or/and Camber be thrown out of specs due to a faulty engine's rubber support?
Thanks for any tip on this!