Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

98 Lumina won't shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Lumina won't shift out of park

It started by not starting at all. Turn the key and it would not turn over. Checked for power at the starter, nothing when the key is at the run pos. Checked the ignition switch, power coming out of there. Think it is the VATS, can jump the starter and it will for a few secs then quit. Got that fixed but now it will not shift out of park after we got it all back together. If we leave the steering column laying on the seat, we can shift. I tried to convince my daughter to driver with it in her lap, not going for it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Sounds like we messed something up but can not find it. Any ideas on what to do or if we can bypass the shift lock?
Old July 3rd, 2009, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah and if you try to convince your daughter NOT to smoke sigarettes... Ah, kids these days...

I'm thinking 3 things.
1) you might make a false contact somewhere. (Because without the steering column protection you are able to shift...) So check your wiring.
2) there is a connection wire on your brake pedal that tells the obd (and your transmission) that the brake is pushed in. That thing has an annoying habit of coming loose every now and then.
3) Could be that, by overriding your starter, you somehow blew some fuses. The voltage coming out of a starter is sometimes immense.
Old July 7th, 2009, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

Got it all fixed.
It was the break stopping us from shifting.
Fixing that and bypassing the VATS put the Lumina back on the road.
Old July 28th, 2009, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem. What do you mean by by-passing the VAT ?
Dennis
Old July 30th, 2009, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

The VAT is the antitheft system in these cars. It consists of a resister on the key( the black spot), a reader( inside the lock cylinder), and a module under the dash. The module compares the resistance of the key and the value stored in the module. If they match, the car is allowed to run. If not, it won’t.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I measured the value of the resister on my key, it was just under 3000 ohms. Matched it to the closest VATS number 3010. I then made a trip to the local Radio Shack and bought resisters to make up a 3010 ohm resister and wired it in place of the reader in the lock cylinder. <o></o>
This is the site I found that explained it all: http://vats.likeabigdog.com<o></o>
Old July 31st, 2009, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default car starts wont shift out of park

If my car starts does this mean the VAT is ok? I have changed the brake switch,BTSI solenoid,And the module that is on the shifter. The cable is ok, THe shift lever will not move. Any ideas?????