Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2001 Lumina - secondary air MIL and broken shift indicator cable

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2014, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Lumina - secondary air MIL and broken shift indicator cable

First issue:

MIL came on. P0410. Secondary Air. Replaced the air pump over a year ago. Old one and the line leading to it were full of water. Light stayed off a while, but then came back on.

Replaced the two check valves on the engine that lead to the air pump and the fuse that controls the air pump earlier this year. Ran about a week, light came back on. Can turn it off, but it will turn itself back on in a few days. When I had the car up changing the brakes a few months ago, I checked the air pump and it was full of water. Drained the line and the pump, drilled out a hole in the pump, but stuck a plug in it. Now I wonder if I should have just left it without the plug, like I have read so many other people doing.

The odd part is that the MIL will come on when I am just driving down the road. Which is odd. The air pump only runs at startup, so why would the PCM be doing anything with it when I am driving down the road? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Second issue:

The cable that leads to the shift indicator on the dashboard snapped. Stupid me thought I could get to the heating/ac controls from behind the dashboard, since it was so difficult to try and get at them from below. Did not know that it was fully sealed behind the instrument panel, I figured I could just reach down and do what I had to do (one of the parts that moves when you turn the **** from various vent positions had broken. I forget what part. After a lot of maneuvering I was able to replace the part from below). I put the dashboard back together, but it just didn't feel right. Later on, I was shifting from park to drive, and I heard a loud snap. Now it doesn't indicate what gear I am in. Of course, I know what gear I am in, but the indicator is a little reassuring. Is it hard to change the cable? Is it even worth the time? What is the part called/part number? Would I need any special tools? Would it involve removing the steering wheel or messing with their airbag?

Thanks.

Oh, my front motor mount is also broken. I've put it off for a while, but I decided to get it fixed. Local shop wants $375. My brother is a mechanic and runs his business off of his property (a real garage, not shade tree). The part is around $75. Is it really $300 in labor? The shop that quoted me has treated me really well in the past. My brother lives over two hours away, but I am going there to visit this coming weekend.
Old November 25th, 2014, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ended up having to replace secondary air pump a second time (had to take it in for state inspection). Working fine ever since.

The shift indicator cable is sold as a package deal that includes the actual shift cable. Pretty expensive. I've learned to live without it.

My brother replaced the motor mount for about $100. The thing was completely mangled, it looked like something that came out of a tar pit. I wish I had taken a picture of it. Replacing it eliminated all the shaking I was experiencing.

Unfortunately, the fuel pressure regulator went, and I tried to replace it, but the damn torx head bolt was stripped. Ended up taking it to a local mechanic who also found that I had a bad injector. He did both jobs plus a new manifold gasket for $450. I know my brother would have charged me less, but he lives over two hours away and I couldn't get any time off to take it to him. The gas smell in the car was just getting too much for me and I felt it could be a potentially dangerous situation. Car is purring like a kitten now. 225,000 miles and I am confident it has a lot left in it.