Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2006 Monte 4t65e

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Monte 4t65e

Have a 2006 Monte Carlo, 3.5L around 135K miles, 4t65e transmission with issues. Drive band broke it's tab off so I did a minor rebuild on it. Replaced drive band and all clutch frictions. Steels looked good. Didn't disassemble drums or pistons, tranny was working well before the drive band issue. Didn't pull valve body off of channel plate, just kept those together. There weren't any shavings or metal in pan...just old clutch material and fluid. Replaced pan gasket and filter and put in a universal wiring harness (all the tabs broke on the old one). I've got it all back together, but there isn't any first gear. It starts in second, whether in D or manual shifting. Indicator in instrument panel won't light up the "1", but all other indicators are fine. It starts in second and has a good shift to third...maybe even TCC lock, but no fourth gear (fourth clutch hub splines are fine). RPMs running about 2500 at 65MPH. No check engine light either. Sensors and solenoids ohm'd out ok individually...haven't checked from trans plug though. I did have a CEL once for the input speed sensor. Reluctor wheel had slipped on first reassembly. It's replaced along with the thrust washer for it.

I'm kinda stumped at this point. I was thinking it was going in limp mode, but would it shift at all? Wouldn't it just stay in one gear? Any help is appreciated!