Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

95 Lumina 3.4 no reverse and loud knocking

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Lumina 3.4 no reverse and loud knocking

Hi All,
Happy Holidays!!

Got a call from my nephew yesterday. He was ready to return from college for the holiday. Started his 95 Lumina and engine has a loud knocking noise and transmission would not go in reverse. He's not mechanical. He couldn't back out of his parking spot. Had him towed to his house about 60 miles. Took a quick look last night. Started the car fine. Loud knocking noise from around the engine, back middle or back right hand side. Thought he was low on oil but all fluid levels OK. Initially thought it was the engine, but further looking reveals the following.

Transmission shift lever will go to Reverse but car will not move backwards. No movement at all, doesn't feel like it engages. Engine knocking still present. Moved to Neutral - same results. Moved to Drive and the car moves forward and appears OK. Knocking noise disappears!! Going to test drive it today if the rain stops, just to see if it will drive forward on the road properly and shift through gears. Will not let him drive it until this is fixed.

Have any of you seen this problem - Loud knocking noise going away when in drive? It seems to me to be the transmission. Is it shot? Could it be something simple I could fix for him? I am a little mechanical but ignorant on transmissions. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old February 12th, 2014, 8:39 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

, Dude, I can't believe nobody replied to your initial inquiry.My best to you but it looks as though you decided to goanother route.

Last edited by pitbull438; February 12th, 2014 at 8:42 AM.
Old February 13th, 2014, 2:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pitbull438
, Dude, I can't believe nobody replied to your initial inquiry.My best to you but it looks as though you decided to goanother route.
There are a lot of no replies to initial queries.

Heck, he didn't even reply to what they did to fix it or found out, so why should anyone else care?
Old February 14th, 2014, 7:36 AM
CF Beginner

Hi pitbull, Thanks, I couldn't believe no one answered either. But that's the way it goes. I ended up replacing the transmission and my nephew is all set. Thanks for replying to my op.

and sledge, you were a great help, thx