Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Brake lines

Old April 10th, 2016, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lines

2001 lumina car. Looks like I have a brake line leaking, most all of the lines have alot of rust on them.
Is this common for a 15yr old car?
Since I have to do one, I was contemplating replacing all. I'd rather do it all now, and avoid a multitude of issues later.
The first drip was under the center of the rear subframe. Wiped it off, drove it, no leak. Did not know it was brake fluid at this point. Was thinking power steering fluid.
Looked under it every day for three days, all good. Looked under it today, theirs a drip on the driver's side, in front of rear tire. Fluid on those lines also.
Vehicle has not moved in three days.
Why would it wait three days to drip? Is their always pressure on the lines? Or are they that weak?
Thank you ahead of time for any replies.
I had a previous post about engine dying after starting. All three of our vehicles where fueled from the same station, on the same day. Eventually Had problems with all three.
Old April 10th, 2016, 9:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

check the auto part stores for a fuel and brake line kit. they may have a complete pre-bent assembly.

If the master cylinder has not run dry. use a pry bar against the driver seat and brake pedal to slightly apply the brake. this closes the ports in the master cylinder and will stop the master from going dry. if it empties, it will be harder to bleed the system. if you do this, pull the stop lamp fuse so you do not kill the battery.
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

The master cylinder still has fluid in it. Thank you for your reply.
Old April 12th, 2016, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

What would cause the leak to "travel"? IE one time it's towards the front if the car, the next towards the back?
Am I correct in replacing the lines?
Old April 19th, 2016, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Auto parts store did not have pre bent lines. Have not checked online yet. Is it possible to use flex lines? It's going to be a real pita to get new lines routed. Thanks
Old April 19th, 2016, 1:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

to find the leak; fill the m/c and pump the brakes...follow the leak to the source.

no, you should not use flex lines.

you will need a brake flaring tool, tubing cutter, pipe bender, 3/16 brake line (copper-nickel is the easiest to work with.....do not use copper) and line fittings.

maybe have a professional do it if it seems to hard to access or complete.
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Online parts

Hi Skunked agian,

If you haven't already gotten your brake line situation resolved, check out Cheapest GM Parts - Shop the Cheapest OEM GM Parts to find the part you need. They have great prices and a ton of parts.
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Stacozo
Hi Skunked agian,

If you haven't already gotten your brake line situation resolved, check out Cheapest GM Parts - Shop the Cheapest OEM GM Parts to find the part you need. They have great prices and a ton of parts.
Already done, thanks though.

Search this Thread