Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2010, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Eisenhauer01, when I take it up to autozone I will take your advice and right down the codes.
Old March 29th, 2010, 5:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Next time you are at walmart, etc

Hi,

My 2 cents...

1999 would be OBD II for sure, so for about $30-$40, I would just get a small scan tool, and this way, you don't have to disconnect the battery to clear codes.

Plus, and really the more important point, is that you can be sure that the code it threw was expected - best $30 you will ever spend on a tool, and it works with any OBD II car...

of course, just clearing the code won't "fix" a problem that you didn't know about, but at least then you will know where the problem is, etc, if the CEL comes back on...

Cheers
Old March 30th, 2010, 4:44 PM
CF Junior Member

thats why he is going to write the codes down and tell them to his good NC friend. lol
Old March 31st, 2010, 9:19 AM
CF Junior Member

yeah, well that works too - I'm that friend too, and get calls/emails from my wifes friends, etc - but, for me? if it was my car, I'd want to know right away, and some people don't live that close to autozone, or other places that will scan the codes for free... if it comes on at 10PM on a tuesday, I want to know why that night :-)

Plus, I was in there one time, and it was a nice/cute gal that had them scan her car, and they came back with an evap code, and made her buy all this stuff... I saw her later outside, and said "did they have you check your gas cap first"? - "no", she checked it, and it was really loose (I was there, and saw that it was too)

Thanks AZ - of course, we all know better than that, but still - but that's why it's a free scan and clear... not saying they are all like that, but they always try to push other stuff you don't need...
Old April 1st, 2010, 4:52 AM
CF Junior Member

i do agree. I am that person too. I have 2 scan tools and one of them is always in my car. the other one usually stays at the house. the sad thing is that my SVT Focus that is my dd.. I havent ever had to use the scan tool on it. lol But it stays in my car.. It has been used a lot for other people though just because.. hey, kenny has a scan tool in his car, he can pull our codes. lol so it comes in handy both ways.