Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Button stuck on shifter

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Button stuck on shifter

I'm frustrated. The button on the shifter is stuck, and before I wind up breaking something, I figured I'd ask for help.

When it first decided to stick, it did manage to get pushed in with a little extra effort, shall we say. Well, then it wouldn't release - couldn't get it all the way into park and get the key out of ignition. Finally 'bumped' the button and it popped back out and I got the key out. Now, the button won't go back in. This took place in about an hour's time. Is it just a spring that's acting up? How do I get the top of the shifter off so I can see what the problem is? This is the first time it's ever gotten stuck or even acted like it wanted to get stuck. Oh yeah, it's a '99 Monte Z34. Any suggesstions?
Thanks ~

Old April 2nd, 2008, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Button stuck on shifter

had the same problem with my 98 monte. if the shifter is near the console like mine is, you have the go in to where you actually see where it moves to changes gears and there's a small white object, when it gets stuck you can tap it with a screw driver and it'll release into gear.. to stop this use some type of lubricant, if you use wd-40 don't use very much at all