Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Installing a temp gauge (where there wasn't one)

Old January 18th, 2015, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a temp gauge (where there wasn't one)

Hey there,

Regarding my 1992 Lumina (3.1l V6):

I recently experienced a nice coolant leak from one of the heater outlets. My only indicator was the "MAX" heat blowing cold; I have a low coolant dummy light on the dash, but no dice this time around. I believe I caught the problem before frying anything, but anyways...

I'd love to install a real temp gauge so I can see my engine cooking itself in real time. Is anyone familiar with how to do so, considering there wasn't one previously installed? How/where should I go about mounting it to the motor?

Thanks!
Old February 1st, 2015, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by triumpht100sr
Hey there,

Regarding my 1992 Lumina (3.1l V6):

I recently experienced a nice coolant leak from one of the heater outlets. My only indicator was the "MAX" heat blowing cold; I have a low coolant dummy light on the dash, but no dice this time around. I believe I caught the problem before frying anything, but anyways...

I'd love to install a real temp gauge so I can see my engine cooking itself in real time. Is anyone familiar with how to do so, considering there wasn't one previously installed? How/where should I go about mounting it to the motor?

Thanks!
Easy install. Pick up a temp gauge from any auto parts store for under 20 bucks. Trace the line from your dummy light to where it taps into the system. That's where you will install the probe from your new temp gauge. Run the new wire back through the firewall. Mount the new gauge anywhere that works for you in the car, and hook it to the probe wire. Wire the light for the gauge to your headlight switch and you're good to go. All the instructions will be with the new gauge.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks SlinkE! Makes perfect sense!