Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Just dies

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2016, 10:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Just dies

96 Lumina 3.1. This thing will just die while driving, only code it sets is (usually) 2 PO101. I've checked wireing, replaced the maf, same issue. The kicker is it will restart, die. If I erase the code it will restart, and stay running. Intermittent, I am think CPS, it only dies while under 2000 rpm. I know there are two crank sensors, just asking for some input?
Old October 18th, 2016, 4:51 PM
CF Monarch

Ok, how about a bump? As stated it just dies, acts like you turn the key off, then back on. Get the check engine, with PO101. Car will crank, start, die. If I erase the code it will crank start, and run till the next (intermittent) time it dies. I believe it's electrical, looking at the schematic shows + wire from 15 amp key on fuse under the hood, signal wire to ECM, and a common ground. I need to know where the ground is physically, as I need to chase this down.
Old January 8th, 2017, 4:10 PM
CF Monarch

I received a reconditioned ecm, installed it. Zero issues with security, I have not driven it yet, will take it out this week when it warms up, just in case it is still an issue. Just an update as I feel people posting for help with issues should respond regardless, with an update after action taken.

Last edited by kevinkpk; January 8th, 2017 at 4:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 11th, 2017, 3:43 PM
CF Monarch

Well, tomorrow I'm taking her out for do or die. I've been driving it some since I replaced the ecm, ZERO issues. I still am not certain it's reliable till after I put more miles on it. What I have driven, the time frames would have had the problem of just dieing. Well, see tomorrow.
Old January 16th, 2017, 6:45 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Well, tomorrow I'm taking her out for do or die. I've been driving it some since I replaced the ecm, ZERO issues. I still am not certain it's reliable till after I put more miles on it. What I have driven, the time frames would have had the problem of just dieing. Well, see tomorrow.
I am a big on reply to questions asked. Seems the ecm replacement has done the trick of it just dieing.
Old January 17th, 2017, 9:36 PM
CF Monarch

Think I can put this to bed, ECM fixed it.
Old January 17th, 2017, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

good to hear