Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Low Coolant + Service Engine Lights

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Low Coolant + Service Engine Lights

Hi. I have a 2000 Chevrolet Lumina. I have had the Low Coolant Light come on and off, flash, and now is steady for months. My "oil change mechanic" said it was the sensor and the coolant was fine. It didn't concern me right away until yesterday when the Service Engine light came on too.

I just assumed it was a sensor again that made both lights come on. I had Advance Auto run the check and he said to replace the sensor.

If I replace the coolant sensor, does that have something to do with the Service Engine light too? He felt it did. I'm kinda confused. The codes with the test also showed to replace fuel cap, which I have done recently and have done several times before.

I have had a problem before with the Service Engine light coming on and Good Year not finding any problems, except for the fuel cap suggestion.

Any info would help! I just ordered the sensor and hoping it is easy to replace, but read now about it has to be "bled"? I don't know . . . I'm a girl!! hehe HELP!! Thanks

Last edited by sonkitty; May 17th, 2009 at 7:21 AM. Reason: Add Make and Model of Car
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

only think i can think of for the fuel cap is loss of pressure in the system somewhere along the way. as for coolant mine is also on fritz but i check coolant often so its no problem to me as long as coolant is orange/green and not brown or smelling rusted. service engine? jeez for coolant thats gotta be sever but bleeding is easy black screw near water pump use wrench to loosen but careful not to have hot coolant splash on you! tighten when you see just coolant coming out.
Old July 20th, 2009, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Something that may or may not relate to your problem!! My 3.4L v-6 in my 2002 Monte Carlo did the same thing. A problem that occurs with the intake gaskets. they can leak in a way that allows oil from the engine to enter the cooling system. When it does it coats the coolant sensor and causes it to read low coolant even though your coolant level is probably fine and system does not leak?? The standard protocol is to replace gaskets, hoses, radiator, thermostat, coolant etc... at a cost of about $3K. I replaced my gaskets then cleaned and flushed my cooling system. Light went off and hasn't come back on. Another way to tell this problem is. When the engine is just sitting at idol does it have a faint rattle kind of like it's a diesel? Hope this helps!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Taz
CF Beginner
MonteCarloForum Liaison

rteddy86... I had that same problem on my 99 Grand Am GT. Found out about my Lower Intake Manifold gasket leaking when I got the oil changed. About a month or so after the factory warranty expired.

I found out by other Grand Am owners at the time, that what you described is a common problem with all GM 3.4 litre engines from 1999 to 2005.

I've been told that GM dealership service departments use a much better gasket when doing the repair you mention. I've also been told that part of the original problem was the bolts loosening off over time. Torquing down the bolts properly is especially important on those engines.

Hope this helps.