Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Lumina 2010 overheating only while idling at signal or at low speeds in traffic jam

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2016, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumina 2010 overheating only while idling at signal or at low speeds in traffic jam

My Lumina 2010 LTZ (LY7 v6 Engine) starts overheating while idling at red light or at low speed in traffic jams. Been having this issue for 6 months and everytime I get it fixed and it keeps coming back.
First time it happened, I went to a mechanic and same time the battery died.
Replacing the battery fixed the heating problem, [as explained by mechanic probably the second fan runs at low speed using the battery (and it wasn't since the battery was about to die) and when the engine heats up it starts on high speed with engine power. Didn't see the overheating issue for next two months after which he suggested to drain the radiator and refill with a new coolant. Fixed the issue for 3 months.
Now the overheating start again and this time, its summer here ( earlier it was winter) . The issues seems more alarming this time as earlier everytime it used to overheat, I used to switch off the AC and just keep the blower(fan) ON and somehow it would keep the temperature controlled while I'm at signal or traffic and gave me time to reach a parking where I could wait to get it cooled off. This time even the blower seemed to affecting it and even after I switched it off, it almost reached 90% ( previously it would only be at about 75% and stay constant )
When I look under the hood, the engine seems to be cold, and the fans are still running. I turn off the car, wait 5 minutes and turn it on again, and its back to 50% and I drive back home.

I am suspecting either the fans are working intermittently or is this a sensor issue ? Any guidance please.
Old March 11th, 2016, 8:26 PM
cj1
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to set a basis for the over heating. You will need a scan tool to read engine temp and proper fan turn on/off temp.

Verify that scan tool engine temp/instrument gauge and ambient temp are approx the same before a cold start.

Start engine and verify that ECT on scan tool and instrument gauge track.
At around 200 F the cooling fan should come on and instrument gauge should read around midpoint.

Let engine idle for at least 30 min observing temp and fan on/off cycles

If fans turn on high but temp keeps rising then you may get a check engine light. Check for error codes with scanner. If no codes than start with testing cooling system pressure.

If fans don't turn on than check for error codes .
If no codes than start by testing fans electrical.
Best to have electrical diagram of rad/cooling system.