Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Lumina No Start!

Old December 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lumina No Start!

I have a 95 Lumina V6 3.1 and won't start. The engine is not getting gas. I have 42 lbs of fuel pressure at the fuel rail. So I changed the fuel injectors and still won't start. I have spark and the car will start and run when I spray Starting fluid into the throttle body. The car does not throw any codes. Also I have changed the fuel fliter and fuel regulator. Please help to let me know what to check/change next. Thanks in advance.
Old December 15th, 2007, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Lumina No Start!

Nobody Can answer!
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
CF Junior Member

I would check for an injector pulse. You can use a noid lite on the injector plug, see if it pulses, with the engine cranking. With the key turned on, you can check for voltage at the injector plug. I believe you have two crank sensors and a cam sensor. One of the crank sensors and the cam sensor are hall switches, if there is no injector pulse while cranking, I'd check those two sensors. They should have three wires going to them ref voltage--ground--signal.
Old December 17th, 2007, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thank You I will check that tonight.I couldn't understand why it would start with starting fluid. So 1 of 3 sensors are not giving the signal to open? Could You tell me were those sensors are ?
Old December 18th, 2007, 8:34 AM
CF Junior Member

I would check for injector pulse, first. On some makes and models, I have used a testlite on the terminals at the injector plug, to check for a pulse with the engine cranking. It's probably safer to use a noid lite.

I believe your vehicle has a theft deterent system, some of these will disable the injectors and starter also?

On some dis systems, during the cranking rpms, it's the ignition module that controls the spark. You have a second crank sensor that is a direct input to the ignition module, so the module has a signal, and there is spark. I believe that crank sensor to be ok. If it wasn't producing a signal, there would be no spark. Probably any system, that has spark and compression, if you add some kind of starter fluid to the intake, you should get a rumble. By the way, if I add some kind of starter fluid, I take the air-duct loose from the throttle body, open the throttle valve, then spray a little. On some models, there may be a sensor in the air-duct, and you may not want to spray anything flamable on it.

The other crank sensor should be located behind the crankshaft pulley. The cam sensor may be located on the timing cover, about where the end of the camshaft would be. I would'nt replace anything without doing some tests.
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Have you checked the air filter, O2 sensor, or any of that other stuff?