Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

lumina not getting spark or power to starter

Old July 2nd, 2015, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lumina not getting spark or power to starter

I have a 1996 chevy lumina six cyl 3100. I had recently been trying to fix an issue with the two side break lights in the back by trying to piggyback them to the center break light. In the process of that atleast one fuse was blown. After its replacement i tried to start the car and got no crank. The starter was taken out, tested then tested again at the store. That past, all the fuses were checked, relayes switched around, even the ignition switch was replaced but still no crank without jumping the solanoid, no spark, and no power coming to solinoid wire when key is turned over. no spark either. Any suggestions and would a scan tool be of use?
Old July 3rd, 2015, 7:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Theft deterrent light on? Not sure if theft system will disable the starter or not...depends on the system. some shut down fuel, spark, injector pulse and the starter.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
Theft deterrent light on? Not sure if theft system will disable the starter or not...depends on the system. some shut down fuel, spark, injector pulse and the starter.
i know SOME of them go that far but this is my longest owned GM and Im not too familiar with their set up or quirks. Does a security lock out trip a code with Chevys? My friend's suburban has a light that just says security but i dont know what my security icon is but im pretty sure it doesnt come on at all when key is turned.
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

Why is this the most dead car forum im a member of smh
Old July 7th, 2015, 7:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

no help at the other forums either?

did you check the owners manual to see what the security light looks like? If its not a security issue I would start diagnosing the no crank first. Check for signal to the stater relay. do you hear it click when the key is turned to start?
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

More likely than not my friend and i trying to piggyback the two lower break lights to the middle one caused a power surge during our wire testing. My other friend/mechanic who is a chevy guy kept saying it was GM's stupid security system that got tripped when me and my other friend (who worked for GM) blew a few fuses. He turned on the car but did not crank it and let it sit until security reset itself. As far why i did not know security had been tripped? More tgan likely the panel bulb had been blown prior to buying the car and i simply had no point of reference to even know it had that warning light. Thats the conclusion we are leaning towards.
Originally Posted by tech2
no help at the other forums either?

Well my fleet is down to a volvo and a lumina. I really diddnt think it was propper to ask about my chevy on the volvo forum im on the most and came here when i first got a blazer and came back after getting another chevy.