Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Need help ASAP, 00 Monte 3.4 Secondary Air injection

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2008, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ASAP, 00 Monte 3.4 Secondary Air injection

I took a job for a friend doing the lower intake manifold gaskets on her 00 Monte Carlo 3.4 I have them all done and was reassembling the car and I have a leftover plug! Wiring diagram says it is for the Secondary Air Injection solenoid but I can not find the plug anywhere! On both the Grand Am and the Alero I have here both have a plug on the bottom of the power steering pump that the Monte doesn't have and I can not find where it goes anwhere. She needs her car back and I am Stumped. Please help ASAP.

Thanks.
Old April 21st, 2008, 2:45 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Need help ASAP, 00 Monte 3.4 Secondary Air injection

Can you describe the connector to us? how many wires? color of wires? color of connector? where along the harness is it located?maybe take a picture of it?
Old April 21st, 2008, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Sure, the plug is a two wire male connector with the two wires being pink/black and pink. The plug is part of the big harness that goes right next to the Alternator. The plug is right in between the coil pack and Alt. According to the schematic I have it is for the Secondary Air Injection solenoid. If anyone has this car and engine combo if you could simply look for me at this plug by the coil packs and tell me where it's supposed to go or have a pic that would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any help, I have to take this car back to her tomorrow.

Here is apic of the connector:

[IMG]local://upfiles/17401/BF09892EA3C94B10BD35E7222E9283B0.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 21st, 2008, 9:28 PM
Banned

Do you rememebr d\c the connector? is the connector dirty as if it wasn't plugged in? The connector is for the Secondary Air Injection Reaction (A.I.R.) Valve Solenoid. Which is supposed to be in the exhaust manifold at the rear of the motor. From what I understand, the vehicle may or may not be equipt with this option. have you tried starting it up? any codes? If it does have the AIR system, and you do start it up with this disconnected, no engine damage will result. It is strictly for hydrocarbon emmissions
Old April 22nd, 2008, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Ok well I did start it up and no codes at all. I honestly do not remember disconnecting it but that doesn't mean that I didn't and then just forgot about it... However I did get it back going last night and no codes so I went ahead and gave it back to her she was needing it back pretty bad. I am completely baffled however and I can guarentee that there are absolutely No other connectors or sockets back there I had it apart in 15 different ways. I guess then it must just be uneeded because there weren't any plugs or pumps on the exhuast manifolds.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 3:04 PM
Banned

If it was present, and you ddin't plug it in, as soon as you drove it, andthe computertried to command it on, it would immediately set a code and turn the engine light on. The air pump is optional on these cars and that one probably didn't come with it