Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Newbie with power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2016, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it! Thank you all very much. I knew when I took it apart, it would be fun to put back together, that was an understatement though.
You won't believe what happened now. Put the outer tie rods back in the knuckles. Tightened down the driver side first, I was even being a good boy and broke out the torque wrench, and looked up the torque specs. Set the wrench, started cranking. Stopped before the wrench stopped me. Was awfully tight. Double checked the setting, 22ft/lb, yep.
Moved to passenger side, started cranking, didn't get near as tight as drivers side, and the nut spun!
Called the store I bought the tie rods from, they'd never heard of it happening. Lucky me.
And of course this is at 2030 hrs. Store closes at 2100. We decided a nut splitter would be easiest way to remove it.
I went to store, bought one. That cheap china nut splitter broke.
Guess I'll grind it off in the morning, and exchange the tie rod. Knowing my luck, that won't be an item they stock!

For anyone who does this in the future, buy yourself a 18mm crowsfoot flarenut wrench. Will make getting the supply and return lines off/on much easier. Even with subframe lowered, there's not enough room to get a flare nut wrench on and enough pressure on the wrench, not for me anyway.
Also get 18mm ratcheting box end wrench, to aid in removal of nuts/bolts for the steering rack. 18mm deep well socket, for nut on outer tie rod.
Old January 12th, 2016, 8:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

well done....that is a hard job to do without a hoist.
Old January 12th, 2016, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you. I turned the steering wheel 20 times, lock to lock. Still sounds like it's groaning. Do I keep turning until that sound goes away? Start it up, turn lock to lock?
Have turned about 50 times now.
Old January 12th, 2016, 7:21 PM
Super Moderator

was the pump loud before you changed the rack? If yes, the pump may be nfg.
if not; the only other thing to try is to pull a vacuum on the system.
Old January 12th, 2016, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Got it out. Don't know how, but its good for now! Test drove it, no leaks or abnormal noises. Don't want to brag yet, the way this job has gone.
Gonna drive it to work tomorrow.
It was not loud before changing the rack.
Again, a big thank you to all who replied!!
Old January 12th, 2016, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Almost forgot, I did not get the steering wheel centered. Is this fixed by loosening the pinch bolt on the coupler, and turning the wheel to the desired spot?
Old January 14th, 2016, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator

it won't be centered after rack replacement. You need an alignment or you will scrub your tires off. Get this done as soon as possible.

You want a 4 wheel alignment and tell them you want a printout of the before and after alignment readings. Part of the alignment is a pre-alignment inspection. they will check the tire and suspension components and they must be good or they will have to be replaced before an alignment can be done.
Old January 15th, 2016, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Appt for a four wheel alignment has been made, have no plans of moving the vehicle until then.
Glad to hear that an alignment will correct the steering wheel, I thought I didn't get it put back together properly.
Again, thank you to all!

Now it's time to replace the floor in a bathroom. Sometimes I really think I should rent, instead of renting from the bank!!