Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Power steering out? Works fine then goes out? 2002 Monte Carlo SS?

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2015, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering out? Works fine then goes out? 2002 Monte Carlo SS?

Well, just a few minutes ago, I arrived home. I turned to back into the parking area across the street from my house. I put the car in reverse and began turning back in the other direction to straighten the car out I did a lot of back and forth because the spot was tight. The steering wheel got very stiff, it felt as if I lost all power assist. The steering didn't act up before this. It made no moaning or grinding noises when this happened. I get the car parked shut it off and popped the hood. Reservoir is full, there is no puddle underneath the path of the car. I start it back up and turn the wheel back and fourth while my brother watches the steering pump. Wheel is equally stiff the whole time (as if the power steering pump is out). He said the pulley is turning and there's no fluid shooting out. So, I turned the car off and started it three times, same thing... I turned the car off once more and left it for about 4 mins and started it once more and it worked fine? Lastly I left and dropped my brother off about 15 miles away drove fine. I stayed in his apt for about 45 minutes came out it was out again. So I drove it about out of the parking lot like that and then shut it off and off a few times no change. then I left it off for about 2 minutes starts up and drives fine so I went home.
Just so I'm clear nothing else is affected it runs fine, heats work, lights etc..
Seems like I wrote a lot, but this just how it was.
So does anyone know what the issue might be?
Old January 10th, 2015, 8:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that will be a hard one to diagnose without proper equipment. , IMO, it will end up being either a power steering pump, steering gear that is leaking internally...or less likely, a blockage in a hose.
Old January 10th, 2015, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

I am doing the power steering pump on Monday, and I go from their... I am hoping that it I figure it's the cheapest problem? I get the part for $20 (used) and labor $50. When I bought the car 8 month's ago that was the only problem and I replaced it. I'll update afterwords thanks for the response
Old March 1st, 2015, 5:45 PM
CF Active Member

You did check the fluid level ? Is the serpentine belt OK ?

While you are messing with the PS pump , drain out all the old fluid , from the entire system , or as much as you can . Re-fill with the recommended ( clean ) fluid .

God bless
Wyr